Notices

Revolution's Journal

Old 04-09-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Revolution's Journal

Day Four
Working on day four here, day three (Friday night) was not so bad on the cravings front once I had dinner. Today (Saturday) will be another challenging day as I would normally consume and as early as lunch time.

Day Three
Made it through day two with minimal cravings.

Today is day three. Having some cravings tonight since it is Friday but manageable so far. Plan to fill up on dinner which usually blunts the desire to have a drink.

Day Two
This is day two, day one was no issue, no cravings, slept well. Tomorrow night and Saturday will be the real tests...

Day One (Count Reset)
No Post

Day Two
Well day two didn't go exactly as planned. Had long standing social engagement with some work colleagues to get together over drinks. My initial plan was to have soft drinks and, if asked, simply state I was on some cold medications that I wanted to not mix with alcohol. Once there though I succumbed to the awkwardness of being the only one not having a drink.

The good news is that it was truly a social night out, I had three drinks over the course of several hours along with food. I did hear the voice in the back of my head thinking about more as I headed home (on public transportation) but did not listen to it.

Day One
New member here. Adding my "Day One" to the list. Here's to the start of the journey... Congrats to all those who have many days logged already!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Revolution - glad you're starting out again towards sobriety. You picked a great place for support!

Social situations are hard for everyone at first.... but it gets easier over time. I still have to turn down invitations here and there, but have been to meetings, weddings, holiday events and arts events and have actually enjoyed myself more because alcohol wasn't in the forefront of my mind. It takes time, but it will happen.

Glad you're here!:day6
Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Revolution and welcome to SR
Old 04-09-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Revolution and welcome to SR. Good for you on starting a journal type
of thread for your early days of sobriety. I found SR an absolute life saver
those first weeks for me and I was on here for many hours at a time.
Glad you are reaching out and I look forward to getting to know you better.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kinds words!

Day Four
Made it through Saturday without a drink, definitely had some cravings. Cravings linked to boredom, habit and desire to relax a little. Working on day five now...
Old 04-10-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 5 -- Before I stopped (I'm only 9 days in)I made a list of things I would do to relax or when faced with boredom. Maybe this will give you some ideas, I am still working on expanding my own list

Relaxation: A Nice Hot Bubble Bath while listening to music on Ipod
Take a walk
Read A Book
(Learn meditation techniques for long run...)

Boredom: Go to gym
Do work (not exactly healthy, but my work is never done and I am behind due to my previous drinking)
Read a newspaper
Old 04-10-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Revolution and Congrats on day 5 ,

You're not alone, those first days can be brutal. Arm yourself with information, read everything you can get your hands on about alcoholism, knowledge helped me stay sober and I personally read lots on SR to gain strength from others here. Like others here I to find SR to be a life saver and the folks here are pretty cool too.

Another Big key for me was to start a program of recovery, AA is one option but there are others. To get started you just need to have a open mind. For me I was not able to solve this myself.

Again welcome to SR, and best wishes, and hope you find your path in sobriety.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day One (Count Reset)
Well, I did not make it through day five. I consumed three glasses of wine prior to dinner. For those keeping score, and I am , I have consumed six alcoholic beverages since deciding to reduce or eliminate alcohol eight days ago. As a comparison, the eight days prior to that saw me consume 37 drinks and the eight days prior to that 40. So while I have not stuck to my plan 100%, I am actually very happy so far as the results are positive and trending in the right direction.

Beyond that, with each indulgence I always go back to my "cost/benefit analysis" and see if it was worth it. In other words, do the benefits of drinking, even a "socially acceptable" amount, outweigh or equal the disadvantages. So far, it doesn't really seem so.

Day 1 is going to be no problem. Zero cravings today.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day Two
No problems with day one. Working on day two, mild cravings for some wine before dinner but nothing that was not manageable.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day Three

Drink free and nearly behind me, bed is calling to me.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day Four

Went to a farewell for an office-mate today and had one glass of wine, enjoyed it and declined more as others continued to get additional rounds. Had some thoughts of getting some wine to enjoy at home as I left but those thoughts quickly left me. Having some dinner, posting here then off to bed early. Another successful, if imperfect, day.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, are you trying to moderate your drinking or stop drinking?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am trying to celebrate every day which does not exhibit problem drinking as I learn from each and every one of those days/experiences. Is zero better than one which is better than two for me? I'm still learning.