AM overdose/suicide attempt

Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AM overdose/suicide attempt

Usually, I come on here to write talk about my RABF. However, I have ongoing issues with my addict mom. I have very little contact with her because of her repeated bad behavior to me. She takes a lot of Rx medication and also pot and things like that. At some point, she's probably taken every drug available. The last time I talked to her was probably 2 months ago.

So, I got a call from her home health aide that my mom had to be taken to the ER. The aide went to my mom's home and nobody answered. She tried to call, and the phone was off the hook. She contacted 911, and the police and fire department broke in and my mom was unresponsive. That was all that I heard for about an hour. An hour later, I talked to ER staff and told them that my mom had access to prescription meds and that she could have taken way too many. They asked, "Has she ever tried this before?" I said no, but that she has a history of psych treatment and hospitalization and that it wouldn't be surprising.

At that point, I was told that my mom was breathing, but would not awaken. I calmed down a bit at that point. Later, I found out that my mom had overdosed, and that she left a "note." So, I guess it was a suicide attempt. However, I just called the hospital, and she has already been discharged. They couldn't give me any more information. I have no idea where she was discharged to. I hope she wasn't discharged to home. Actually, I hope she is actually in the psych unit and she just has told them not to tell anybody. My mom never admits to psych issues or drug addiction issues.

So, I guess say a little prayer for my mom. My grandmother is very old, so I have only told her that my mom took too much medication. I don't know whether or not to tell my grandmother that there was a suicide note. I don't want my grandmother to have a heart attack or something.

Those of you who have been in my position probably understand how I feel. Right now, I am still kind of in shock and upset, but I'm also kind of mad at my mom plus releived that she is o.k. I'm worried about her health, but know that I have no control over her behavior. I have no other family where she lives. She doesn't really have friends I can contact because she has scared all of them away. She has extremely bad behavior, so most people have cut off contact. It's very sad and scary, but what can I do?

Thanks for listening and understanding.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

((((Bluebelle))) I'm so sorry. Your mom is in my prayers. I think you have handled things appropriately and agree there really isn't anything else you can do. Prayers for you too -this isn't an easy thing to experience and your feelings are valid.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'm want to share my feelings, but have to be careful who I share with. If she had a medical problem, I would share with lots of people that she was in the ER. I don't know what to do. She is 60 years old, and, like I said, I live far away. For all I know, she could be home. She likes to create a lot of drama, but she lies constantly. If I talked to her, she would make up stories about what happened. I just hope she is safe. I was so panicked earlier. I already panic whenever I see a phone call from her area, because it seems like it is always one thing or another.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For all I know, she could have been picked up and released to one of her addict drug provider peole that she knows. She has a really twisted relationship with one of them (who once kicked down our door when I was a kid). If they asked her to call someone, it might have been him. Who knows. Usually, I work myself in a panic, and she's managed to survive somehow.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by bluebelle View Post
Those of you who have been in my position probably understand how I feel. Right now, I am still kind of in shock and upset, but I'm also kind of mad at my mom plus releived that she is o.k.
Blue I totally empathise with you. I have been there with my sis. Your post reminded me of her last attempt. I did not tell my parents about it because I didn't think they needed to know (we're both adults). I think she ended up telling them.

She likes to create a lot of drama, but she lies constantly. If I talked to her, she would make up stories about what happened. I just hope she is safe. I was so panicked earlier. I already panic whenever I see a phone call from her area, because it seems like it is always one thing or another.
I know, I know, I know. Exactly.

You are doing what you can. I let me sis know I am there when she needs help, and when she is willing to get help. After her last attempt she did get some mental health help, and supposedly has been following through..so if nothing else she got offered help from her attempt.

Good luck and I hope things turn out ok.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

bluebelle, you seem to have acceptance and you must have gone through tremendous sorrow to get it. Your love for your mom, grandmother, and yourself is so evident. You and your loved ones are in my prayers.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

bluebelle
I am so sorry that this happened. It must be such a powerless feeling. I think it's really important to talk about the feelings that this causes so that those feelings can be processed and not accumulate inside of you.

I'll say a prayer for you and for your Mom.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the prayers and kind words. They mean a lot to me. I still have no word as of this morning. I'm assuming that no news is good news. I will try to talk to her home health aide today, and see if I can get any kind of news. The hospital wouldn't tell me anything.

You are right, I have been through a lot regardings my mom. I have reached a sort of acceptance, but also find that it is still painful. I worry about her, but realize that I have no control over the situation.

I have talked in person to people who I believe will understand and not judge. Today, I am sad and anxious. I have friends asking me what I'm going to do to take care of me, so I'm going to try to answer that question!! I'm kind of lost as to how I'm supposed to do that. I guess I will continue with my exercise class scheduled for today, I'm working like normal, and I'm going to study for my classes. I will probably take a nice bath. I'd like to take a nap.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

bluebelle, I read this thread on acceptance in the FFA forum and found it to be helpful. I hope it is helpful to you, too, and confirms that you're on the right path

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cceptance.html
Old 04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, Chino. I hadn't seen that. It's great stuff.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm really thankful for this website. I have been sharing on here, and have some friends that I talked to. One of my close friends really doesn't get it. She claims I need to go stay with my mom to "help" her. Oh, if it was only that easy!! We have tried to help her over and over, and she just refuses to help herself.

We have found her (thank God for that). She is in a regular hospital room (not psych). They won't tell us any information about her condition. That's not a surprise, because she always tells them not to give out any of her information.

My grandmother was telling me my mom's latest stories and they were unbelievable. I guess my mom was in a car wreck, had health injuries and couldn't take care of her dog anymore. She met some guy she knew in high school, and they were having a great time. However, he then got prostate cancer, and is really sick. That's the stories. Who knows what the truth is.

At least I know my mom is in the hospital. I know she is safe for this moment. I did attempt to call my mom at one point, and left her messages. It sounds like she has a good case manager, and I know she has a good home health aide.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you know that she is safe for the moment. Get some rest...I imagine as much as you knew there was nothing you could do, worry made it difficult to find peace.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's true! I actually talked to her tonight, and she was completely loopy. She was making up all kinds of things, and her speech was very slurred. I'm not sure she even knew who I was, and I kept repeating, "It's your daughter." I told her that I loved her. I think she heard it on some level.

I feel thankful for fire department, home health care people, hospital workers, etc. I really appreciate them caring for her. If she recovers from this overdose, the hospital employees are really going to have a handful!!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I called the hospital, and they said my mom was "stable," so I'm o.k. with that. I also talked with my grandmother, who seems to have gone back into denial stage. I didn't push it. I just let my grandmother talk, and said, "uh huh" and "I don't know." I am really working on acceptance.

If I think about it honestly, my mom has been heading this direction for many years (more than I've been alive). She has been in jail, the psych hospital, etc., and is not getting any better. She has severe mental illness along with the drug addiction. I remember times when she was better--when she had periods where she seemed more lucid. I hope that she will choose to get help during this hospitalization. I realize that it is entirely her decision.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

sorry for this drama, bluebelle.

i'm glad you are somewhat disengaged from her. maybe she can't help that she's a bit crazy....but she is.

peace...
Old 04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The situation with my mom is worse than I realized. This is her second suicide attempt since January. Her immediate health is o.k., and she is being transferred to an acute psych unit today. The medical doctor said that she said that she is lonely, in a lot of pain, and doesn't want to live. So, we are hoping that the psych doctor will commit her so that she can receive longer-term inpatient treatment. I will talk to the psychiatrist later (hopefully). I will give them the background on her--that she has been a danger to others for a long time, and that is one of the reasons why she is so lonely. I hoping to give the psychiatrist enough information that he will realize that she needs to be committed for awhile.

I am so scared. My aunt said that my grandmother's health is looking really poorly. She elderly gradmother is very upset about my mom, and is not doing well. My family is all spread apart. I feel some guilt over living so far away, but I know it was my choice to move here.

I have a test to take for a class today, and I am trying to keep my schooling together. It would be very hard for me to drop school right now (with 3 weeks left in the semester). I don't have the money to fly to where my mom is, and it would also mean I'd have to miss work. I want to do what is best for my mom, but I can't lose my life, too. The reason why I haven't seen her in the last several years is because I don't feel safe with her. I could stay in her house while she is at the psych facility, but I'm not sure what this would accomplish anyway. My grandmother is all worried about my mom's house because the fire department had to break in when they rescued my mom.

I'm really scared and upset. I don't want my grandmother to die because of this stress (my grandmother is 91). I still have a test to take, and I have my ordinary stresses to deal with. We just moved to a new place, and we aren't all the way moved in. We are very quiet people, but we have neighbors complaining that we aren't. We have an apt manager giving us a hard time, and it's just a lot to handle at once.

Please send prayers for my mom and for the rest of my family. My mom especially needs them. She has good characteristics, and I think that if she could get some help while she is stopped from killing herself, than she might still have some good times left. Of course, being in a psych facility would dry her up from drugs, which may also help her psych situation.

Thank you.