Notices

New To This

Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New To This

I have a girl friend that is currently in rehab for month and I need help understanding alcohol addiction and what I can do to help her. I totally support her and am very proud of her because she understood what her illness has done to her family and friends and to me and entered rehab herself. I myself have not drank in 15 years, not because I had a problem but I just did not care for it anymore, easy for me but I know it is not so easy for her. She is doing the 12 step program and I want all the information I can to understand it and what I can do or not to do when she returns. I go and visit her every weekend and talk to her daily.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dude5x

Welcome

I'm not sure where to start really.

Under the Influence by James Robert Milam & Katherine Ketcham is a good basic book explaining alcoholism.

I'm not sure you need to understand everything tho - I still don't understand everything about my addiction....

my friends and family don't always understand either, but they support me without enabling me - we all do our best

Have you been to our Family and Friends forums? you'll find a lot of people there with experience from the 'other side'

D
Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Dude))) -welcome to SR! I agree with ((Dee)) that you may want to check out the friends & family forums. I have A's (addicts) in my life, as well as a recovering addict. The forums have helped me tremendously!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Present

Hi, Dude5x. This is only my second post here; the first post was my introduction.

In the "Friends and Family of Alcoholics" part of the forum, there is a sticky post with many helpful links called "About Recovery." Open that sticky (I can't post a link yet since this is only my second post.)

Check out the link in that sticky, called "10 Ways Family Members Can Help a Loved One with a Drug or Alcohol Problem."
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks to everyone and this site will help me understand things that I need to know.