Notices

Does anyone else get this?

Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone else get this?

Last time I went sober for an extended period of time I got these awful lumps in my throat for no reason at all. They last all day to bedtime...not every day but once in a while.

I feel like I am getting one now, however I'm upset about some stuff at work. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else gets them. I don't remember getting these before I had a drinking problem...
Old 04-04-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure what you mean GenJen - you mean like anxiety and not actual bumps right?

Either way - not in my experience, but so see your Dr if you're worried.

D
Old 04-04-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I'm guessing you mean the anxiety lump in your throat thing? Probably talking to your dr is the best idea.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

GenJen,

If you mean anxiety creating a lump in your throat or something similar to mild heartburn, I know what your talking about. When ever I have anxiety issues this is one of the first things that happens to me. I try to calm myself down by going for a walk or taking a few deep breaths which usually helps. The good thing is I'm having this happen less and less as I distance myself from my past drinking.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
GenJen,

If you mean anxiety creating a lump in your throat or something similar to mild heartburn, I know what your talking about. When ever I have anxiety issues this is one of the first things that happens to me. I try to calm myself down by going for a walk or taking a few deep breaths which usually helps. The good thing is I'm having this happen less and less as I distance myself from my past drinking.
Yeah you know the kind you get when you want to cry...sometimes it comes out of the blue though, maybe it is built up stress/anxiety, not always brought on by an event....

I do have an anxiety problem and am on meds for panic etc...drinking always helped LOL...but yeah i do have a doc appt wednesday, gonna bring that up amongst other things...
Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great idea bring it up to the Dr., it happened to me a lot during my first 30 days, but like mentioned I'm getting it under control slowly but surely. Drinking was always my preferred relaxation method as well and I'm still working on slowing my mind down and learning to relax naturally.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
Great idea bring it up to the Dr., it happened to me a lot during my first 30 days, but like mentioned I'm getting it under control slowly but surely. Drinking was always my preferred relaxation method as well and I'm still working on slowing my mind down and learning to relax naturally.
Yeah last time i got it periodically for the entire 3 months...it's just bothersome when you don't have any one thing to blame it on...this is a typical cruddy monday here...the difference is I'm not drinking.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got it. Everytime I swallow, I felt like I wanted to throw up. Made me not want to eat or anything. I went to the walk in, and they did all these tests and blood work, and got nothing. Went to an ENT dr and they did all sorts of stuff and came up with nothing. However, I was getting it while I was drinking and when I wasn't. So I am not sure if there is a connection. But, whenever I got it, I was under a lot of stress, so that is all that I could come up with....

hope to help at least a little...
Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trixieisme View Post
I got it. Everytime I swallow, I felt like I wanted to throw up. Made me not want to eat or anything. I went to the walk in, and they did all these tests and blood work, and got nothing. Went to an ENT dr and they did all sorts of stuff and came up with nothing. However, I was getting it while I was drinking and when I wasn't. So I am not sure if there is a connection. But, whenever I got it, I was under a lot of stress, so that is all that I could come up with....

hope to help at least a little...
it sounds the same...drinking made it go away for me lol...now I gotta find a sober way to deal with it...there were times it hurt so bad the only relief was laying down or crying...weird....

Not like I can go have a crying session at work without a good reason to ya know lol....
Old 04-04-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Genjen View Post
it sounds the same...drinking made it go away for me lol...now I gotta find a sober way to deal with it...there were times it hurt so bad the only relief was laying down or crying...weird....

Not like I can go have a crying session at work without a good reason to ya know lol....
I think you might be surprised by the number of people who'd like some crying time at work. You could set up a club. Just sit around and sob for 30 minutes or so, then go back to work.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hmmm, a crying room at every office you might be onto something. May-be we could revolutionize the work place!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like anxiety to me. Ask your doctor to be sure.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This happened to me recently after a drinking spree. My doctor put me on Nexim and it took care of it.