update

Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update

i purposely stayed off the board for a while for a couple reasons. 1. i realized as done as i wanted to be, i was only tricking myself into believing it. i was more hoping it would go away than i was making it go away. 2. i think the board became a crutch for me.

i am in a weird place again. over the past couple months, while i had contact with her, all i could think about was being alone again, not dealing with her, and having my life back. now that i have had some of that, i find that i miss parts of her, including the chaos.

i really thought i could stick it out til the end. this whole last run, goes back a couple months. i have seen her not want to get help and i have seen her want help. i saw her make calls and arrange things. something didn't work out because of her not wanting to go, twice the facility messed up. it became a situation like before, ok, one more week, then that didnt work out, so it was one more week, and so on.

it got to the point where there was arguing and nothing but hostility. that subsided and she arranged a detox. i saw my out and felt i saw it through to the end. but, we got there and she broke down, she wasn't ready. i calmly reminded her of how things would be if she did not go and she understood. we parted exchanging i love yous

its only been a couple weeks and there has been no contact except her leaving a couple messages that she is ok.

so its real this time. and i am just writing because it's a bit odd to want someone to be away for so long but then once it happens to miss them.

but it is spring and i have started my garden and have been taking pictures.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

but it is spring and i have started my garden and have been taking pictures.
Good for you. I love gardening! Well, I'm not so fond of the digging in the dirt part, but I love growing my own vegetables. Last summer all my tomatoes rotted on the vine because we got no sun all summer long. I've got my fingers crossed that things will be different this year!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

but it is spring and i have started my garden and have been taking pictures

steve, will you post a picture of something about spring?
i have been waiting and waiting here.
give me hope!

beth
Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Steve,

That is terrific! I love gardening also. When my AD was at her worst, I found such solace in digging in the dirt. There is something therapeutic about getting my hands (without my garden gloves) in the dirt to plant my annuals in my flower garden. Usually, I am covered with dirt from head to toe. But, oh do I sleep well at night.

Gardening is definitely on my gratitude list!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiya Steve!

I have 'plans' to start a vegetable patch in the back yard. I'm also going to rrrrreally try to resume learning the guitar while RABF is doin his thing.

The trick is to fill your life with stuff you can do and accomplish so that we can let go of that helpless feeling.

Good to see you.

bb
Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i guess i will just put my feelings down on this thread and let it fly. this feeling is helpless and i go back and forth from feeling good to feeling down. when she was staying with me or we were having regular contact i wanted out so badly, but the longer that is happening, other feelings slip in and start to take over. i know there is nothing i can do. i have learned that. but i also know that there is something about her i can't shake. but i remember what it was like being with an addict and it keeps me somewhat grounded. i am struggling wit ha bit of guilt. the past couple months i lost my cool on a daily basis. i fought w her all the time and i became a mean person. i criticized everything about her and feel horrible about that. its hard for me to live with myself for behaving that way.

i know, i haveto keep working on me. i still have that dream that she will get better one day and recover and we can move on, but i realize the odds are against that.

we have parted. she has to find her own way, as do i. just been feeling quite sad recently.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

loneliness sucks Steve. I wish and hope you find someone to fill that void in your heart. Someone that will be good for you.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i guess it's the reality setting in. i know that this is really it. there is no going back. maybe that is what has thrown me off. before, i guess in the back of my head i knew i'd see or hear from her and i believed in her getting help.

all the while we were together or in contact, i not only thought of being out of the situation, i thought of things i could do, somehow those things seem meaningless. i guess this is the next wave of depression sinking in. i guess i expected her to have called by now. i guess this is all harder than i thought it would be. i thought i would be so happy and relieved to have a break from her, but i find myself worrying again and missing her (the sober her).
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Steve, you can either continue to hold onto hope for this situation, which we all know is a test in futillity, or you can let it go and move on with your life. This has been going on long enough, and there have been enough setbacks that everyone here can see that you are causing your own problems with this situation.

Everyone is asking that you post more about YOU and what YOU are doing for YOURSELF. Tell us more about your garden and post some pictures.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

"never let me imagine that my satisfaction with life depends on what someone else may do" ODAT in Al-Anon pg 234

((Steve))

My friend - I believe you are still in a place of grief and healing but I do believe as you continue your path - it will get better, you will heal and you will find happiness, serenity and peace.

Look how far you have already come in your walk ~ you have gained so much, please don't give up now!!

Enjoy the garden, enjoy the peace ~ enjoy the fruits of your recovery labor ~ you deserve it!

PINK HUGS to you!
Rita
Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i guess i keep believing her words. the last time we spent any time together, she had another detox set up. we arrived and she broke down in tears saying she wasn't ready, that she loved me as much as she can love someone but that the drugs are winning, she said she wants to get clean, wants a normal life again, but was not ready to commit. i accepted that. i said that that means we cannot go back to the chaos, she can not stay again, or hang out, and that i would not be there to give rides or save her from any situations. she cried and said she understood,that she wanted me to take my life back and was sorry for all she did to me but really loves me.

so, i get stuck believing that. and i did expect to hear from her sooner. my sober thought is that if you love some one you check in. so she is either "working" or staying w someone and feels ashamed to call or since there is nothing to get from me, she doesn't bother to call.

i tried uploading some photos but i am not having luck
Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

IMG_1848.jpg

if this works, this is one of the buildings that is part of one of hte abandoned asylums i frequent
Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow! Steve, I challenge you to take close ups of what fascinates you with this building, what speaks to you.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This poem was found written on the wall in Danvers Asylum. It's been my favorite since.

The Garden of Proserpine (1866)
by Algernon Charles Swinburne

Here, where the world is quiet,
Here, where all trouble seems
Dead winds' and spent waves' riot
In doubtful dreams of dreams;
I watch the green field growing
For reaping folk and sowing,
For harvest-time and mowing,
A sleepy world of streams.

I am tired of tears and laughter,
And men that laugh and weep
Of what may come hereafter
For men that sow to reap:
I am weary of days and hours,
Blown buds of barren flowers,
Desires and dreams and powers
And everything but sleep.

Here life has death for neighbour,
And far from eye or ear
Wan waves and wet winds labour,
Weak ships and spirits steer;
They drive adrift, and whither
They wot not who make thither;
But no such winds blow hither,
And no such things grow here.

No growth of moor or coppice,
No heather-flower or vine,
But bloomless buds of poppies,
Green grapes of Proserpine,
Pale beds of blowing rushes
Where no leaf blooms or blushes,
Save this whereout she crushes
For dead men deadly wine.

Pale, without name or number,
In fruitless fields of corn,
They bow themselves and slumber
All night till light is born;
And like a soul belated,
In hell and heaven unmated,
By cloud and mist abated
Comes out of darkness morn.

Though one were strong as seven,
He too with death shall dwell,
Nor wake with wings in heaven,
Nor weep for pains in hell;
Though one were fair as roses,
His beauty clouds and closes;
And well though love reposes,
In the end it is not well.

Pale, beyond porch and portal,
Crowned with calm leaves she stands
Who gathers all things mortal
With cold immortal hands;
Her languid lips are sweeter
Than love's who fears to greet her
To men that mix and meet her
From many times and lands.

She waits for each and other,
She waits for all men born;
Forgets the earth her mother,
The life of fruits and corn;
And spring and seed and swallow
Take wing for her and follow
Where summer song rings hollow
And flowers are put to scorn.

There go the loves that wither,
The old loves with wearier wings;
And all dead years draw thither,
And all disastrous things;
Dead dreams of days forsaken,
Blind buds that snows have shaken,
Wild leaves that winds have taken,
Red strays of ruined springs.

We are not sure of sorrow,
And joy was never sure;
To-day will die to-morrow;
Time stoops to no man's lure;
And love, grown faint and fretful,
With lips but half regretful
Sighs, and with eyes forgetful
Weeps that no loves endure.

From too much love of living,
From hope and fear set free,
We thank with brief thanksgiving
Whatever gods may be
That no life lives for ever;
That dead men rise up never;
That even the weariest river
Winds somewhere safe to sea.

Then star nor sun shall waken,
Nor any change of light:
Nor sound of waters shaken,
Nor any sound or sight:
Nor wintry leaves nor vernal,
Nor days nor things diurnal;
Only the sleep eternal
In an eternal night.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Abandoned Asylums

Gray Photography
Old 04-05-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

chino-
no need to challenge me on that one, i've been inside many of these places and have thousands of photos. subjects are from the obvious such as beds, gurneys etc to the colors and patterns of paint peeling and rust. i cant figure out how to get on of my folders attached to provide a wider range.

i am on a scouting mission for anther one it is HUGE but heavily policed. i need to stake it out one more time, then do my predawn missin to slip in and stay for a couple days. i cant risk leaving and tryingto get back in. this one will be the most covert yet. the complex if huge. the only on bigger is the pentegon- that is single frame. because its so heavily guarded there have not been a ton of people inside it. so it is undisturbed. built back the the 1800s and closed in early 1980s. good chance i'll get popped but better for this than a drug run (i never told those stories yet).
Old 04-05-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

kiki-
great link. looks like my stuff! but a touch better

great poem too.

i havent got into danvers yet. only the main building still stands.
its not too far from me, but there other other places to get into first. i have list. its fascinating to me how many people do this sort of thing. years ago when i started i had no idea. i thought it was just some weird reflection of my soul. i get near anxiety looking at other peoples pics because i want so badly to go to every place. and doing this 10-20 years ago was better because less people were doing it. some places in inner cities were more dangerous then, but so much has been torn down or refurbished. i love decrepit places. junk yars are good becasue they will never get cleaned up, just an open graveyard for old cars.

i went into an old factory from the 1850s yesterday. was pretty good. it was a textile mill. i found a roome that still had the machines in it and they were threaded. like they left work oner day and didnt come back.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
kiki-
great link. looks like my stuff! but a touch better
I don't know if you ever heard of Willowbrook State School in Staten Island, New York, but I use to live in that part of Staten Island. I remember once going inside, I was fundraising and thought I'd find some buyers in the staff, and what I saw disgusted me I couldn't believe it.

The stories you hear about it is true. Horroble.

Eventually the whole thing was demolished and a Staten Island Community College build on it's place.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Not sure if this has been brought up before but have you ever been seen or treated depression? Sometimes this holding on to negative things is a classic symptom of depression. When we are depressed, we only see the suffering, the pain, the heartache around us and those we love.

We don't allow ourselves to feel happiness if we are depressed because frankly, depressed people use the depression as a comfy blanket. She has almost become that blanket for you (which I've thought is the reason you cannot get beyond this.

Its that chicken or egg thing: are you depressed as a result of the relationship or depressed and the relationship (with all its chaos and ongoing drama) is what you gravitate towards.

As someone who suffers from depression I can tell you that when I am not following my treatment and taking care of myself, I tend to be attracted to negative things. When I do feel good, I want more light in my life, not darkness, pain or chaos.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow Steve, is that recovery I am seeing! You sound so great, so possitive, a man with a purpose in life, a man living his life!

Rose