Notices

Fear of drinking again..

Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of drinking again..

Hey guys, Ive been sober for 22 days now and part of what is driving me to sites like this and AA is the fear of possible "going out" again. Is this normal? Is this something some of you guys that have been sober for awhile have felt or am I doing something wrong? lol? From what people have told me in other places this is a pretty normal feeling that eventually fades. Is this what you guys experienced an intial fear that drove you to quit and then a slow fading of that fear as you accepted your fate and gave in to your program be it AA or something else?

Just curious.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I took a long time to stop drinking, so I knew I had to stay stopped. I feared for my health and that did help to keep me sober early on. I think it's normal to feel fear because the disease of alcoholism can be deadly. Use the fear to help you with your recovery, but don't allow it to overwhelm you and take over your thoughts.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I have been sober for 7 months and have never really feared relapse but I have feared unhappiness in sobriety (which I guess might lead to relapse). Then again I don't believe I am powerless over alcohol. Not unless I chose to take the first sip

Nonetheless I focus every day on how grateful I am to be sober. How important sobriety is to me etc. So.. not fear but awareness.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A little fear is probably not a bad thing, I feel a certain amount of fear equals respect. After going through detox I have to admit I have a large amount of fear of drinking, I fear that if I fall back into my old habits I will never be able to claw my way out again. Stay strong and great job on the 22 days.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fear of drinking is normal. Avoiding situations of temptation in the beginning is advisable and a good thing to put into practice. After that, u will have to face up to meeting the situation now and again where alcohol will b available.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great question....I don't fear drinking per se...I fear forgetting why I don't drink. I visit SR daily so that I don't forget and don't become complacent. I am only at 8.5 months so who knows how things will progress, but I don't want to be one of those people who has years and then drinks again.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I use disgusting visuals that I have in my head of what will happen to my liver if I drink again. One of them is that when the alcohol makes its way thru my body when it gets to my liver it sizzles it slowly like baking soda on a slug. I also read alot of books on how alcohol does damage to your organs and brain. I believe that alcoholic drinking is a slow death. I have six months and do not have drinking in any way as an option for any situation. I also am on SR daily and each post is something I learn from..I don't fear drinking..I sure as hell don't want to die because of it. I lost 2 people close to me to alcohol related deaths and that was it for me.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I definitely fear drinking again. I am afraid after a period of sobriety I will think I am "cured" and decide to do some controlled drinking, which I have failed miserably at before.

I am afraid of going to the Dr. because he'll either a) find something really wrong with me or b) tell me my liver, kidneys, etc. are fine and I'll take that as "permission" to go drink again.

In fact I am full of fear. I know this is not healthy but I have no idea what to do about it.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

In the first couple of weeks of my recovery I was definitely afraid of caving into my obession to drink. I fought alcohol like a foe; one in the same room as myself, slugging it out toe to toe.

Now, 7 months sober, the obsessive thoughts of drinking are gone; alcohol has left the room. But now I have a different fear, that my foe may sneak up on me when I least expect it and catch me unaware.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Similar thoughts for me, at 21 days sober. Fearful of being unable to cope (in general, overall) without alcohol, but also fearful I'll reach for it. Trying to take it one day (sometimes one hour) at a time even though I know deep down I can't drink again. Hoping it gets better.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us fear that we won't 'do it'...that 'we've tried before' and look what happened....I was certainly that way.

I had a lot of self doubt but the people here helped pull me through

I really wanted to live my life a different way this time tho - I really gave recovery my all...I went farther than I ever thought I could to stay sober and not to drink anymore....
and it worked.

It will work for you too - put everything you have into this - let nothing be too much trouble

D
Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for all the responses guys and making me feel welcome. I guess all I can do is worry about not caving today. Makes a fairly insurmountable task seem more miniscule and conquerable.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, I am in fear of failing health if I continue to drink. I heard a good tip from someone. After you have been in recovery for awhile, go to a newcomer's meeting monthly just to remind yourself what you looked like when you first got sober.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by UofI2008 View Post
Ive been sober for 22 days now and part of what is driving me to sites like this and AA is the fear of possible "going out" again. Is this normal?
At 22 days, many alcoholics are beginning to rationalize and convince themselves the decision to stop drinking was an overreaction.

So while you're wondering if you're "normal", all I can see is someone who is "blessed"!