Notices

really struggling

Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

really struggling

I am really struggling at the moment ... am feeling really distressed because of nightmare/ Flashback of abuse that happened to me when i was a child.
I feel like i need to drink... but the shops and bars are all shut So to calm me am drinking diet coke
But i dont know if am going to be able to stop myself from getting drink when the shop opens

I find it really hard to look to a Higher power right now because of the abuse and the feelings around it .

Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Post, read, post, read, Kiddo. Please try to look forward. Looking back will have its day, but let's not make it this one.

I am sorry this advice seems like cold comfort at the moment.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think you already know that drinking can only worsen your emotional state. It makes everything worse really......

Think about what you can do to calm yourself: a warm bath, soft music, deep slow breathing, some comfort food, a good night's sleep....... They may not take away the urge to drink (I think that there are times when the only way to cope with urges is to get through them), but it will help relax you.

Drinking certainly isn't going to change the abuse you suffered, but there are ways to cope with that too, like counseling.

I used to see alcohol as a solution for everything, but I only added one more problem to my list.

Look for some real solutions, OK? I wish you all the best.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try to keep busy. Read or post here or maybe write down how your feeling to help deal with your emotions. Drinking won't solve anything except maybe temporarily numb you. Hang in there.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey chicky...I know its hard to look to a higher power when terrible things happen around the world and to yourself. How could a god let this happen to a little girl? How could this be? I have my own explanation for that but I wont' go into it here...

Try to focus on this though, YOU HAVE PURPOSE...you have a reason for being...you are on the road to recovery, later on down this road maybe you were meant to help others who have been in your shoes....

This is something throughout my life that I have tried to focus on whether drinking or not...but the fact of the matter is I cannot do this kind of work if I'm a drunk all the time...

Love ya honey!
*hugs*
Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Just the way you found time to post on this site, that time was spent in a positive way. Seeking counseling is probably a good start along with "You" taking care of yourself. There are no easy solutions to our problems, but that's what life is about learning. Tempations to drink are normal specially under stressful situations, keep doing what you did tonight and post on this site for support from your extended family. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Willow

I just had to confront my abuser , happens to be my brother , last month and I can say without a doubt , drinking my face off for 3 weeks made it all worse. It was like him winning all over again.

The HP knows what happened and the reality is my abuser is headed toward a miserable lonely existence here and after he leaves here.

Stay strong , go to a meeting , a counsellor , take a bath, meditate , go for a walk...anything but pick up as that is not an answer.

Post and read here ...it helps me a great deal
Old 04-04-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you feeling today Willow?

D
Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Am awake for the same reason again ... I dont have a therapist because i have tried therapy before and i spent most of the time there staring at the floor or dissociating and not talking at all i cant afford to pay for therapy and the only free therapy there is , is about 7 weeks worth and that is it

Yesterday me and my husband went for a meal , my husband had to go and get something so i was left to order our drinks there was a list of drinks including alcohol i almost ordered a beer but i stopped myself and ordered a juice instead
Thankfully my husband came back a little while later .
A few hours later i went to an AA meeting i talked a little .

At the moment am wanting drink but every where is shut so i cant have any
I have a meeting in the afternoon at 1 pm tomorrow