Notices

Interesting Article

Old 04-03-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting Article

At this point maybe this is the best option for me.

At St. Paul 'wet house,' liquor can be their life -- and death - TwinCities.com

A wet house in St. Paul. After reflecting back on my life I realized all I have been doing is intentionally killing myself with alcohol, I've just been doing it along with a FACADE that I'm going to school and working and blah blah blah. I really came close to putting a bullet into my head on a few occasions but I realized that if I was dead I couldn't drink (WOW). Drink/drug myself into the grave (a la Jim Morrison) was my decision. There is a safe place for me to do that! The fact that this article INTREAGED me is downright frightening, yet I am so numb that it doesn't really shock me. This is whiny as hell but I hear people in recovery actually love hearing stuff like this because it makes them grateful. So I'm helping you guys by posting this. I am only 24 BTW, just turned 24.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, wow wow!

This sadly illustrates our society's most shameful trait - giving up on the most vulnerable among us.

What's the difference between this and Dr. Kevorkian?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is not an uncommon place over here. We have a wet house in our city - I used to work with some of the guys who live there. and it was never a matter of 'giving up' on them, it's a sad fact that some people will continue to drink until they die, and actaully wish to, so, after all avenues of help have been explored, the only thing to do is give them some dignity in dying and spend the precious resources we have on those who want to get well. Very sad but sadly that's the way it is..
Old 04-03-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, What a shocking article. Really sad that there is a place like that.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess there is no difference between Kevorkian and wet houses.

Why did Kevorkian go to jail while these wet houses, PAID for by the tax payers, are allowed to....be? Kevorkian served 8 years of a 10-25 year sentence for second-degree murder. All he did was help those with terminal disease die.

This simply blows my mind! Thank for the article suic.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Reading that just breaks my heart. How can anyone else decide that nothing will work or at what pont someone is "hopeless"? I know a man who went through treatment 13 different times before he quit using opiates. What if he had been considered hopeless after 10 or some arbitrary number? Although I agree you have to want to change your life to stop drinking or drugging, I can't imagine how this can help an addict in any way. It's the ultimate form of enabling. By the way, that man who went through 13 treatment programs has been employed as a licensed practical nurse for over 5 years now, contributing to society. I can never believe that there is anyone not worthy of hope or help. There but for the grace of God go I...
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I believe it to have a LOT to do with $$ (even though the article will dispute this).
Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry no-one has taken much notice of my post! The house here is a charity, so no tax payers money used.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Coolmummy. Maybe where you are in the UK it's not funded with tax money, but here in the States, Catholic Charities are most definitely funded or subsidized by a state.

For three years, St. Anthony has been operated by Ramsey County, St. Paul, the state of Minnesota and Catholic Charities, at a cost of $18,000 per person per year. It's one of four so-called "wet houses" in the state.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

We already discussed this to death on a previous thread.

Taxpayers are not providing alcohol, they are only providing shelter for those who would otherwise be without it (these are people who would rather be in sub-zero temps than be in a shelter where drinking is prohibited). I see nothing wrong with providing them a warm and safe place to die.

Suic, my bigger concern is what's up with you?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Uggh I dunno I'm thinking things through. If I get to a point where I decide to not live anymore than I'll move into that house (I live about half an hour away from St. Paul). As opposed to jumping off a cliff. It would have to be after the NFL draft though, not gonna miss that. Who will Carolina take #1? ..... I notice when I'm discussing something uncomfortable I change the subject to something much lighter as a defense mechanism
Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I'm with Lexie Cat, I am more interested in what is going on with Suic...rather than this article. Almost like everyone overlooked the fact that OP stated above the article " At this point, maybe this is the best option for me". It doesn't sound like you are doing good at all. We are here if you need to talk (())
-Jess
Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, right. No suicide until after the NFL draft is over.

Good grief.

Dude, did you ever get to an AA meeting? Something tells me you aren't quite ready to die (draft or no draft) if you are still posting here.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Never saw the first discussion....my head is down and tail between my legs.

Hoping you can find your way to recovery suic. All the best...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I dunno I'm just a tad mentally ill. Not ready to die, no. That house is just a last resort.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So I'm helping you guys by posting this. I am only 24 BTW, just turned 24.

You're not helping me by posting that! I'm not sure if you're bragging or complaining. Are you proud that you are only 24 and your life seems be in a drunken tailspin or are you reaching out for support because you are young and want to change the direction of your life?
Getting mixed feelings from your posts...first you come close to putting a bullet in your head then you're not ready to die? I think, you need to reach out for support in your area in a positive way. I think you really want to live your life (since you are only 24) but need the attention to do so. Stay here and post and reach out to AA.
I have 3 boys between 20-29 and hate to see young lives just thrown away.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Suic - Being a "tad mentally ill" is what alcohol does to us. I convinces us we're weak and hopeless and that we don't care about anything, that life is too hard and we'd rather die than give up alcohol. Infact, death seems pretty attractive at times.

I often visit a support forum for end-stage liver patients and their caregivers. It helps me stay sober to realize what my future could be like if I start drinking again. The suffering is horrendous and it sometimes goes on for years - dozens of hospital visits, lots of pain. People bleeding for all orifices, swelling up to the point where their skin breaks open, losing their minds, strokes, infections, horrible bowel problems, muscle wasting, bruising everywhere, can't eat or sleep and barely able to walk.......

I hate to be morbid, but you really don't want this kind of death.

You know, sometimes we just have to give up and get someone to help us. Of course you can't stop drinking and don't want to - that's what alcoholism IS. Call the Salvation Army - find a treatment center - go to the ER - put yourself in the hands of someone who can help you.

People do it all the time. I was ready to give up on myself, too. I just wanted to be left alone to drink. I'll bet most of us felt that way.

One more thing, and this is important: it's only AFTER getting sober that you find your sanity and will to live return. So don't depend on having that feeling while you're still drinking. You simply have to get sober first before you can begin to see ANYTHING in a positive light again.

I'm sorry for the long post - I just feel for you, and hope/pray/believe that a new life is waiting for you. :ghug3
Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree with artsoul. Do what you gotta do, whatever it takes.

The NFL will survive one season without your active input to the draft process. If you wanna live to see Supebowl C (that would be the 100th), deal with this now before your body and mind give out.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt sure I would die the way I was living suic - and the really insidious thing with alcohol was I'd convinced myself I didn't really care.

When push came to shove tho, when I was really looking at dying....I found I really didn't want to die....I got some help and I changed my life.

These last 4 years sober have been amazing - I'm not anyone special...you can have this too suic...if you want it

D
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I must be a "tad mentally ill" since I am currently intoxicated.