Notices

Is this "normal"?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this "normal"?

My last drink was 3 days ago. This morning I feel depressed to the the point of going back to bed, hoping I wake up in a better mood. Also, hungry but no appetite. Shaky, cold and empty. No ambition. I've holed myself up in my apartment and am chain-smoking. No phone to call anybody.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not a doctor but, no it doesn't sound normal to me.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everyone's recovery is different. But for me it was very much the same as yours. I found chores to do around the house to keep myself busy. I do hope you have seen a doctor. Mine only lasted a few days, and then everything seemed to get better. The initial detox is tough but so worth it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Depends on how much you were drinking, but I felt depressed, lonely and miserable for weeks after I quit. You should always see a doctor to make sure what you are experiencing is normal withdrawal vs. something more serious.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Absolutely normal, and this too shall pass. Just hold on, Friend.

Equip yourself to succeed: keep posting, keep reading, attend online and in-person AA meetings.

What you're feeling is why people are killed by their addictions each and every day. Recovery is tough, tough stuff.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Seems perfectly normal to me. As has been said, it differs for everyone, but I can certainly tell you that when I stop that is exactly what happens, to the letter.

It is really important to get some help in place when you stop. It is not enough to just quit and not replace the drinking with anything. I just picked up again because I haven't done this properly so I'm not preaching, just hoping maybe others could learn from my mistakes.

This illness keeps itself going by destroying all your relationships in my experience so that when you do hit bottom and try to stop, you have nobody left except professionals, the AA and people like this for support.

Keep posting and reading here until you can get to a doctor. The desire to isolate yourself is normal, common and understandable but it is also the worst thing you can do.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, I am on day 4 and feel the same way. From reading your other thread, our history of drinking and resulting predictaments are similar and I think a lot of what we are feeling now is mental. It's the depressing loss of your best friend and the scary thought of facing our problems without booze. It's the idea that you may never have any good times ever again because the only good times you had were when you were drinking.

But drinking is what caused all of the problems and booze is the enemy, not our friend. And of course there will be good times ahead, even better than before. And with a clear head and sharp mind, our problems can be solved and our situations improved. You can do it. Good luck to you
Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Alcohol withdrawal (and yes, at three days you can still be experiencing it) has all kinds of unpleasant effects. As soon as you feel physically able to, I suggest you find an AA meeting. It will give you a quick infusion of HOPE, which is something I sorely needed at the end of my drinking.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, that sounds familiar to me. I stared at the ceiling a lot in the first week.
I just slept as much as I possibly could, forced myself to eat, and spent a lot of time on this forum. I'm feeling way better now, and I actually have some real energy for a change.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I can especially relate to the "no ambition" feeling..... I felt tired for quite a while after quitting. Like bevin, I spent a lot of time reading on the forum and doing the bare minimum.

If you find that the depression continues or gets worse, see a doctor for help.

It takes time, but it's worth it. Be patient with yourself and the process. Things will get better.....
Old 04-03-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkroses View Post
My last drink was 3 days ago. This morning I feel depressed to the the point of going back to bed, hoping I wake up in a better mood. Also, hungry but no appetite. Shaky, cold and empty. No ambition. I've holed myself up in my apartment and am chain-smoking. No phone to call anybody.
Hi, I sent you a pm. It must be difficult with no phone for sure. Can you get out of the house in the sunshine? I find it is no good when I am alone.

Can you go to a meeting?

Maybe get out for a meal somewhere? Shopping? A walk in a park?

The first days of not drinking are not easy. A body badly burned by alcohol doesn't heal overnight.

Take care of yourself. A member here told me to eat! Make sure you are eating some healthy foods, and drink plenty of water!

It's going to be alright. Stay with us.

There are some really good talks on this link if you wish to listen:

http://www.live365.com/index.live

I can't he can is good by mickey b., along with the workshop 1, 2, 3, part 1, and part 2.

Do you have a big book?

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

Listen to A vision for you.

Also on the link I posted are many segments for Joe and Charlie Big Book study. If you have a book, or can listen online...go through the book with them from the beginning (AA history)...on through....the chapters are in order for a reason...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

During my plentiful alcohol withdrawals I experienced really frightening things like seeing and hearing things that weren't there. It was like I was having a really bad drug trip but I was sober, making it stranger. But they pass and after a few days I feel healthy and am able to get good sleep.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've "quit" many times before and I'm almost the same way. I get a great high from being sober for a few days, no withdrawal, then on day 3 or 4, I start to feel withdrawal symptoms. I know I had a really weak will in the past, which is why it took me so many times to quit. I'm only about 1 week sober right now, but it's the first time I've been sober for more than 5 days in about 5 years. I fought it this time by just making myself do things that make me feel productive. Chores, taking my bike on the trail, reading a book related to my industry/career, etc. The lonely empty feeling really sucks.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would say that sounds normal. The first week was the worst for me. Anxiety, cravings. Felt much better after the first week.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds very normal to me too PR. If you're worried tho, please see your Dr.

D
Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Try an early morning AA meeting, "breakfast meeting" we call them here. Nice coffee, tea, whatever. You don't have to say anything, but staying inside for too long may get a little "crowded". Get some of that morning chilled air.

Last edited by Pete55; 04-03-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds similar to how I felt, and I do hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

keep in touch DreamBig...we can help each other with our experiences
Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My hands would shake so bad the muscles in my shoulders were sore from the shaking. Headaches, sweats and no sleep were also a part of my detox, hang in there it gets easier, and please go to the doctor or ER if need be.