Notices

Anyone else have this strange experience?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else have this strange experience?

It's been a few weeks since I've had a relapse. I've been experiencing the strangest thing this morning, just wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?? I've been cleaning and listening to music I would listen to when I drank. I haven't for a while because it's been a big trigger for me. I don't have the slightest urge to drink, but I almost feel like I have had a few! That feeling that you get when you have your first drink or two, that warm glow and great feeling of anticipation..yet I don't want to drink at all, it's like being just slightly drunk. It's freakiing me out. Just wondered if anyone else has felt this way?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

No, I don't think I had that one in particular. But, imo, early sobriety does mess with your mind!

Hopefully someone will be along shortly and be able to help!

Glad you're here....and sober!!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If the "warm glow and feeling of anticipation" are making you feel good, I'd just take them as proof that your body knows how to feel good without alcohol - and enjoy the feeling! I can't remember if I had a similar experience in my first few weeks but I do know that today I often feel just plain fabulous for no particular reason. I also know that music can affect my mood in a profound (and mostly very positive) way.

It's good to remember that the longer you are sober, the more you'll start to feel all kinds of emotions that you probably didn't when you were drinking because the alcohol numbed your feelings. So you'll probably experience a whole range of emotions in the coming weeks and months...it might feel a bit freaky at first but you'll get used to it - and appreciate how much richer your life is now that you're experiencing life the way it was meant to be experienced.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe your mind has made an association between mornings, cleaning, music and alcohol. So when your environment is similar- mornings, cleaning, music - your body "remembers" the alcohol. Just like certain sights, smells and sounds remind you of something.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first few months sober I would occasionally feel as though I had been drinking and not in a good way. I would feel buzzed...like my head wasn't on right....I hated it as I had gotten to enjoy having my head screwed on straight. Hasnt happened in awhile thank God! I had forgotten it til I read this post.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I cannot listen to my "Blues Christmas" album anymore. All the songs are just major triggers for drinking.
Most of the songs are all about feeling sorry about yourself during the holidays. It is a great album with some really good artists, but as an alcoholic, I can't listen to it!!!!