Notices

A little discouraged

Old 04-02-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little discouraged

I'm kinda down today. I'm on my 17th day of sobriety and still feel like crap. Went to the doc's yesterday for terrible stomach aches and "bowel issues". He told me that my body is trying to deal with the fact that I have no more alcohol going through it, and is trying to heal. I also am fatigued and have a headache 24/7. I thought when I stopped the drinking I would start feeling better and better. This is almost worse than being hung over every day.
This sucks!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad, tink. I suppose the amount of time it takes to start feeling good physically after stopping drinking varies quite a bit among different people, but I can guarantee you that it will get better eventually. Hang in there and keep posting here to let us know how you're doing.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you talked to your dr.

I drank for a few years, so I felt it was unrealistic to expect my body to heal quickly. Try to be patient and keep eating well and exercising and you will feel better. Stopping drinking is only the first step and you are now embarking on the recovery journey, and it will get better for you.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both. I am trying to be realistic, but I'm just so frustrated. I will give it time and keep you posted.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Glad you saw the doctor! I hope you'll be feeling better soon. I know, like Anna, that the damage I may have caused happened over many years of abusing my body (and mind) and it sure did take a while to feel better again. But as long as you don't drink, at least you know you're no longer damaging your body the way you were. Hang in there!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tink, check your private messages.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found that things got worse when I quit drinking, and have encountered many alcoholics who feel the same way.

And it makes sense, if you think about it: we're depriving our bodies of the substance that alleviated our spiritual and mental distress.

Alcohol treats my alcoholism. I needed to find something else that treats my alcoholism, and simple abstinence wasn't it.

The body repairs, yes, but the mind and spirit...they remain a mess. And sometimes that distress manifests as physical pain (headaches, stomach problems, etc.).

I'm only cautioning you that if you believe simple abstinence will make life better, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there Tink. I'm really sorry you are not feeling good. It really will get better with time. I'm feeling pretty good at this point, 52 days. Jay is right, I really needed more in my life when I quit drinking.
I started improving one thing at a time. I take a daily vitamin. Started exercising, yoga in the morning and dance exercise after work. I eat healthy foods and drink lots of water. I started gardening and writing to keep my mind and body focused on something other than drinking. And I've started reading self improvement and life improvement books to start creating the life I want without alcohol.
Hope this helps. :ghug3
Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One thing I found was that drinking alot of water and getting alot of sleep helped me. (And walking my dogs) I didn't suffer from stomach issues -everyone recovers differently physically, as well as, mentally. I find my spirituality lifts my spirits.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Tink,

I did not have the stomach problems but did suffer from a headache for almost 2 weeks. Trust me it does get better with time, try to eat right, get some good sleep and try to keep busy. It really does help, hang in there and great job on the 17 days!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So sorry your feeling so bad. Don't get too discouraged, every day you stay sober your body is healing and you WILL feel better and better. I agree with hugger883's adivce, do everything you can to take good care of yourself and give yourself time. Be kind to yourself. Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank for 20 years Tink - it took me over a month to feel 'ok' and a bit longer than that to feel 'normal'.

Don't feel discouraged - this is hard but you're doing well - lean on us for support when you need it

D
Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks Dee and everyone! This is the best site ever. Although I have an amazing husband and kids, they just can't know what I'm going through like you all do.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

How are you feeling today, tink?

Sometimes healing involves a bit of pain. I hope things resolve soon - and I'd sure keep on the doctor if it doesn't. Hang in there - you're doing great!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had a good "day" yesterday as far as the fatigue, but by early evening my stomach started to hurt and I was dog tired the rest of the night. At least I had a little ray of hope for awhile anyway!