Notices

the hardest part really is admitting this

Old 04-01-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the hardest part really is admitting this

i just joined this site... i posted a few days ago and i am really thankful for all of your support.
i cannot believe how hard it really is to admit i have a problem. i know i do, but every time i tell a friend or something about it i start crying. i just cannot believe this is me. i never thought i would have this problem.
my boyfriend or 2+ years will not be with me till he sees that i have gotten better. i cannot believe i let alcohol ruin my relationship with the person who is most important to me. and i feel like it is going to be a million times harder to get through this now that we have broken up and i am so sad about it all the time.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gorpus View Post
i cannot believe i let alcohol ruin my relationship with the person who is most important to me.
Being an alcoholic means that nothing-- not love, health or money-- will stand in the way of you and a drink. It's astonishing when looked at through our normal morals and values, but not when we consider the real nature of alcoholic obsession.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gorpus, Welcome to SR!

Breaking up with a boyfriend is a very difficult thing, sometimes one person is missing in your life and it feels like the whole world is depopulated.

You have to remember though, you cannot do this for him, because if you do, you will not recover. You have to want it for you, and you alone

You will make it through this with or without him, just make the necessary steps and do it for the right reason.

Good luck to you,

Stacy
Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us felt that way Gropus.

I know it's hard, but try and not spent too much time in the past - focus on what you can do now

There's a lot of us here who've been where you are and turned our lives around. You can too

D
Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i am doing this for myself first... not only for him. i guess i just mean it will be hard because he is usually the biggest support i have.
it helps to know that alot of yall have been where i am now and turned it around.. i cant wait till im there too.
Being an alcoholic means that nothing-- not love, health or money-- will stand in the way of you and a drink.
i hadnt thought about that.. but now that definitely makes alot of sense.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe it's time you broke up with alcohol, here's a letter of someone who did > http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-alcohol.html.

My wife left me (for her), I havnt taken a drink since (for me).

She did come back and I am still sober (Day 40).
Old 04-01-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I know support is vital to my recovery and well being

That's why AA is my choice.

Here is the Atlanta AA Central Office..not sure if it's open
this late or not....but when and if you are ready to find a solution

404-525-3178

I live NW of Atlanta...in Paulding County...Hi. ..
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Gorpus...I'm sorry about the breakup. I'm sorry your boyfriend didn't feel the need to support you and be there for you. Actions speak louder than words and you can prove to him that you WILL get better.
Addiction is hard to admit to. But after you do you will already feel a relief come over you -then its time to look into solving the problem.
Do you have an AA group near you? Do you have a higher power that you can put your faith into? Once you admit to it and start taking action -then things can begin to change.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep it up OP...my fiance almost left, everything is on hold right now...in fact its been on hold for months...he's hung on as long as he can. I can't blow it again...and I don't want to anymore. I think I had a hard long look at what I was doing to my kids, him, my finances, work etc...I know what addiction/alcoholism leads to if unchecked. I don't want any of it. And I consider myself blessed as I haven't had to get a DUI or lose EVERYTHING before I finally bottomed out.

I'm a noob again (last time i tried was a few years ago and got 3 months, before that its a long story) I only have 4 days but I feel like my heart is in it this go around...

Get to meetings, make some friends there, you will need support for sure. Get a sponsor too, I am working on finding one myself.

*hugs*
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

We do understand, and you're not alone. None of us plans to let our drinking get out of control, but by the time we realize we have a problem, it's really hard to stop.

There's a saying I see around here a lot and it's so true - there's no problem that can't be made worse by drinking. No matter what happens in your relationship, getting sober can only help your life.

Glad you're here - keep reading and posting!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Thanks for joining us; I'm very glad you did. This place is fantastic. It's helped me nearly every day for the past year.

I definitely know the feeling of not allowing anything to stand in the way of that next drink. It was all I wanted, and I'd do anything to get it.

These days, though, there's nothing I can think of that would make me have a drink. I can't imagine any situation that can't be made worse with alcohol. Of course, I'm not like most people, because I don't have a drink or two. When I drink it's all out, and I'm just no longer willing to put myself or the people I care about through any of that nonsense. I did it long enough.

I ruined a lot of relationships with my drinking. Some of those will never be repaired, and that's really a shame. I lost ties with some people I cared for very much. I also strained lots of relationships, and while they still remain, they'll never be what they once were.

But since I've stopped drinking, the relationships I still have, and the new ones I make, are a lot better than they were in the past. It's amazing how much of a better friend, brother, son, boyfriend, or whatever, you can be when you're not wasted all the time.

Again, thanks for being here. Hope you hang around a while.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. A lot of the shame factor will go away after you get some sober time under your belt and allow yourself to be honest. Talking to other people through meetings and the message board helps, too, because there are so many people with similar problems.