Notices

Moving to a new city...

Old 04-01-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving to a new city...

Hey everyone,
I am moving 3 hours hours away from my child this Sunday. He is moving (with his mom) in three months to the same city. I need to go get established with work and a place so I can co-parent to the best of my ability. With the recent seperation, things are tough but my son is the most important thing. I want to be 20 minutes away at the most from him when they finally move.

I have 2.5 years sober and have only recently started AA. The city I am moving to is where I bottomed out for the last time. I am a lot excited AND scared about the move. I have dialed in with some old AA friends so the network is starting.

Has anyone out there moved away from your child and felt the anxiety I am experiencing?

What did you do to get through the days?

Thank you for reading this.....

Heres to another 24!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have children, but best wishes for you, and your family, with the move JayT

D
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Jay, I used to have my son full time, but wanted to move, needed to move so his dad got the lawyers involved. Now i have shared care, 50/50.... which i do believe is fair as my boy needs his dad in his life.

when I was first getting used to not having him around all the time.. it killed me. I felt lost, and desperately wanted to see him all the time. But it gets better,and the times together are just great.

I found other things to fill my evenings, yoga, work a little, friends, a jewellery course.....it is what you hvae to do. Fill your time with rewarding hobbies, and friends from AA.... too much time alone leads down a really dark path. It did for me for a time until i got help........

Sounds like you are being a great Dad, putting your son first and trying to build a good life for the two of you. Keep it up Jay!

see you in chat... with my fave smiley!! I crack myself up!