Notices

Me Again - Second Social event in two days

Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me Again - Second Social event in two days

Hi! Well I wanted to let you all know that I just got back from going out again, watched Cyndi Lauper in concert sober, AMAZING, cried when she sang True Colours, felt like we had eye contact (I was in the second row) The words were so touching and I felt the last three months of changing my life and not drinking well up inside of me (it felt spiritual and meaningful).

Then we went out and I got a diet coke and some water and had a dance, people stopped offering alcohol as I always made sure I had something in my hand (thanks to other threads and tips from others, thanks!) it worked.

A few people asked what I was drinking, but i just smiled and curtly told them. This new life is really possible, the sadness of drinking and isolating is not how it has to be. Courage is needed and to awaken your authentic self to let yourself really be who you were meant to be. Thanks for listening and all of you, towards the end of the night I kept thinking of hopping on here to check in. It is around 2am here where I am. Will be up for a bit as I feel so inspired from this concert and will now need to unwind,
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a fun concert! When I got out having some type of drink already in my hand def seems to help me as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I'm very glad you had an enjoyable experience at the concert. So often people wonder how they will be able to have fun without alcohol. I'm a big sports fan, so I would think to myself, "How am I going to go to an Atlanta Braves game without drinking beer? How can I be at a Falcons game without getting smashed beforehand? How will I get through a 3-hour Dave Matthews concert without booze?"

Well, I'm here to tell you that I've done everything without alcohol that I once did with it, and I enjoy those events soooooo much more now. I'm actually of a conscious mind to enjoy it, and I remember everything the next day, and I don't have to look at my camera and receipts to see what the heck I did the previous night.

The only thing I don't do these days that I used to do when I was drinking is hang out in bars. There's really no reason for me to be there, so I stay away. The 1 time I really had to hang out in a bar, for my company Christmas party, the bar had pool tables and video games and such, so I was able to entertain myself.

Again, glad you had a good time at the show. Keep that positive feeling going!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

How wonderful - and I can just imagine how meaningful that song was...... I love it when things like that happen in sobriety. Definitely a spiritual message.....

One of the first events I went to after getting sober had a big jazz band and I really enjoyed dancing that night. It felt like I was celebrating who I was, just enjoying being me, just like you said, instead of having the alcohol do it for me.
It's freeing not to have to worry about how sober/drunk you are......

Thanks for the great post!!!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I want what you have Ring. I haven't been to many events yet that used to involve alcohol (I'm at 60 days but still struggling with anxiety) but am starting to feel like I can enjoy all other aspects of life without alcohol. Congrats on your weight loss and the tight black dress...I'm starting to get there and that alone will get me out!

Thanks for posting.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Wow, Ring! That's great and it's nice to hear it can be done as I too associate concerts with drinking. And I love Cyndi Lauper
Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love, love, love Cindi Lauper.

I'm glad you had fun at the concert.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the inspiration!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert Ring - and thanks for the post!

D
Old 04-01-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post, Ring, thanks for sharing