Notices

Energizer Bunny

Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Energizer Bunny

I'm at day 51 of giving up alcohol and after going through my detox period, then my always tired period and then my eat every sweet I could get my hands on period I've now reached a point I've got so much energy I don't know what to do with it all.

I started abusing alcohol as a way to relax and take the edge off and of course it got way out of hand. Now my relaxation method is gone and I'm tying to figure out how to control all my pent up energy. I work out, chase kids, have a job but just can't get my brain to shut down when it's time to relax.

Has anyone else had experience with this and if so what methods did you use to help yourself relax and calm down.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find balance is really important.

I try to have at least part of the day for me - whether that's exercise or playing my guitar...watching a DVD....the latest hobby...you're only limited by your imagination really.

I also find volunteer work is a great way to get rid of that excess energy...nothing like getting out of my head sometimes

D
Old 03-31-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Bikeguy...thanks for the affirmation for what I am going through on day 22. I am only now starting to get a little energy, but am still tired most of the time, and have gained 8 lbs eating all the sweets in the house. BTW, I couldnt stand sweets when drinking. I wish I had suggestions for you. I remember after going through this burying myself in movies and reading, or fishing, or just getting somewhere by myself to relax. I also got into herbal teas, some decaf, and cut back on coffees. I am actually looking forward to the point you are at because I am so far behind at work, I need the extra energy. I actually need to become a workaholic for a period of time to catch up. I hope you find your new coping skill
Old 03-31-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lofty

Great job on the 22 days, give it time you will get there. I hated the sweets period I went through too, having some fruits or veggies close by to munch on really helped me out during that time. I hated sweets before I quit drinking too I think the sweets cravings must have something to do with getting blood sugar levels corrected.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, definitely.

My brain has a very hard time shutting down. I have chronic insomnia.

Meditating helps a lot, and so does yoga. I find that I have a lot of energy too and I have to take breaks during the day to just 'be'. If I don't I find that I have a hard time settling down in the evenings. I often say that balance is crucial for my recovery and it really is.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I structure my sweets. I don't like alot of candy, per se, so last thing I do is eat a big blowl of ice cream in the evening loaded with extra chocolate chips and chocolate sauce. Or a big bowl of popcorn with extra butter and salt. Depends if I'm feeling salty or sweet. LOL
I took advantage of my extra energy by painting my livingroom. That kept me busy for about 4 or 5 hours -for 3 days. Then I started fixing up part of the basement to do my grooming -more painting, vacuuming, moving stuff...then take the dogs our for an evening power walk...then sleep came easy.
As far as calming the brain...I have alot of me time...very important to me. You need to silence the screams of life for a good night of shuteye.
I'm just thankful to be able to stay awake without drinking and passing out then waking up at 3 in the morning. LOL
Old 03-31-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
You need to silence the screams of life for a good night of shuteye.
L
Wow EmeraldRose, You nailed it for me, I use to drown those screams in whiskey now I just need to find a good way to make peace with them.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Learning to meditate (which I never thought I'd be able to do) has helped me immensely when it comes to relaxation.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just learned deep breathing exercises with imagining you are at your most favorite place on the planet. Yummy!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Do I ever not miss those 3 a.m. wake-ups, ER. One of my biggest dreads before getting sober. Now I sleep like a baby, sometimes even past my "wake up for going to work" time. That's ok, though, since I live only a mile from the studio where I work. Besides, they're used to me dragging in 5 or 6 minutes late all the time. Only now, I come in late without a hangover. Sweet!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've read and heard several times from books and dietitians that alcoholism is a form of sugar addiction- does anyone know more about that?

I believe we alcohol addicts have difficulties regulating our blood sugar, and thus spikes and cravings (and moods, apparently)...

D
Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can relate to you so much! I'm on day, hang on...35.. and I'm going through the eating everything in sight phase have had a bit of the energy phase and am loving the able to sleep all night (5 year old popping through to discuss dinosaurs at random times notwithstanding!) I am making a real effort to stay busy - as I'm not working at the moment, my house is pristine most of the time (!) and i try to go swimming at least three times a week. It's great to be feeling 'well' for the first times in goodness knows how many years, that's for sure!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AnodyneShift.....
with my doctors OK I followed an eating plan for hypoglycemia
for about 6 months after I quit drinking.

I found it in "Umder The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham.

I consider it was a vital part of my recovery..
Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

good luck!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh God I love my Kindle !!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Great thread, BG.

Carol, thanks for the book lead...I'm following up with it.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm not quite at the "energy" stage, BG, but in your post you talked about the "tired all the time" stage. Is that normal? Because I'm on day 12 and no matter how much I sleep, I cannot stay awake, which is frustrating since I'm here taking care of my son. If I so much as lay down, I'm snoozin' and by 8:30 at night, I'm so tired I can't see straight. Is all of that normal? Sorry to answer your question with a question, but I've been wondering about this.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Saphria,

For me I had about a week where all I wanted to do was sleep. I would go to bed around 9 which was a struggle to stay up till then and then have a real hard time getting up by 7:30. From what I've read on SR and other places I think this is pretty normal. I think the body is taking those sleeping hours to repair itself and make up for all the torture we have put it through.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnodyneShift View Post
I've read and heard several times from books and dietitians that alcoholism is a form of sugar addiction- does anyone know more about that?
D
I don't know if sucking down unusually large quantities of sugar based liquids would point to sugar addiction; ........but, it does looks kind of obvious , i'd guess !?!

The hardest part of eliminating sucrose, was just identifying all the so-called "food" out there that are full of it. No way for me to totally stay away, since I'll occasionally eat out, but i try my best, even then.

i've haven't found, even ONE,.. salad dressing or box of cereal (except plain old shredded wheat) that doesn't have sucrose. It kind of grosses me out now, to think of pouring sugary dressings on a leafy salad. Talk about counterproductive!?!

Just don't let anyone fool you into the old "fruit is full of sugar BS "
This is exactly the kind of sugar ( Fructose )) our ancestors have eaten for as long as we've been around. The perfect delivery of nutrients, minerals, and carbs we crave; .....and the best part is they are so easily digestible. Esp. when I eat fruit by itself.

I'm a big believer in sucrose addiction, ....primarily because I was such a sugar junky, but also , whether alcoholic or not, I see a HUGE resistance to even the thought of totally giving it up entirely; ....with just about 99.9% of anyone who hears of the idea.

That was my knee-jerk reaction when I first heard of folks giving up alcohol 100%. .......no way, no-how, I thought. Best thing I ever did !?!

Second best thing; ......giving up refined sugar.

once I finally understood just how unnatural it is for my body to process, the chances of a pre-diabetic condition ( hypoglycemia ) ....and the diabetes later, plus the dental problems, the weight issues etc. ....it became easier to take that first step. The first 60 days were probably the worst (sounds eerily familiar to booze !?! )

Well, I love to eat, and without sucrose, I can eat as much as I want
.....and a lot of it !?!

Anyway, .....off my soapbox. Y'all take care !!