Notices

I need help

Old 03-31-2011, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

I am new here and desperately need help. I have been drinking daily for a while and really overdid yesterday. I have the shakes, sweats, aches and really want this feeling to go away. I know if I have a beer, it will alleviate some of this, but that's not a solution.

Can anyone offer some advice?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tammy,

You should see your doctor first and prepare for Withdrawal symptoms. Depending on the quantity and the length ( No of years ) of drinking , there could be serious withdrawal symptoms and detoxification needs to under medical supervision.. It will not be good idea to do this on your own and you should seek support from Friends/Family members etc.

1. You can try in-patient rehab center therapy in your area.
2. You can read big book of AA and try AA meetings in your area
3. You can look for other recovery support website like SMART RecoveryŽ | Self Help for Alcoholism & Addiction
4. You can read some books which can explain the addiction chemistry and why we drink the way we do, though we know the harmful consequences of drinking. I can suggest " Seven Weeks to Sobriety" by Joan Mathews, " Get Sober ,Stay Sober " by Cynthia Perkins, " "How to quit without feeling S**T " by Patrick Halford
5. Try for some Physical Exercise, Meditation, Yoga etc.

You might find all this as usual advise available everywhere but it will help. I wish you all the best.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The only way to "make it stop" is to stop drinking. AA is in the phone book, and most local intergroups have meeting lists online. Why not find a group near you that meets today and go?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tammy123 View Post
I know if I have a beer, it will alleviate some of this, but that's not a solution.

Can anyone offer some advice?
The only advice I can offer is not to drink today and take it one day at a time. That's all any of us can do.

And Welcome...!!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tammy! Welcome to SR. I also think Bingen pretty much nailed it. The only thing I might add is you have to want to stop, more than you want to drink. Recovery is possible if you embrace it.

Best Wishes to You! :ghug3
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is your first post from last year

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...49-im-new.html

also had good advice....

Welcome back to SR....
Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The good thing about withdrawals are they are not permenent. Talk to a Dr to make sure you doing it safely.

It is the first step in your recovery, and the good news is you do not have to go through them ever again. I hated my withdrawals (who doesn't), the anxiety, insomnia, embarassing shakes and sweats. I kept telling myself i never wanted to go through them again.

Emerald is right. One day at a time. You can make it one day. Worry about tomorrow when tomorrow hits. Best of luck.