Notices

What does AA give you that you didn't find elsewhere?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm still one the fence about AA. Actually I wasn't able to stop until I came to SR by chance. So refreshing to find people like me.

Right now I am seeing a very good therapist who talks about outlets, managing emotions, excercise, deep breathing. I also stop in at SR about twice a day.

Everyone always talks about AA. I don't know why, but I am reluctant to go. I think first, because you lose you anonymity and I don't feel great with groups of people I don't know. I think between SR, my therapist and my family, I am covered.

I feel that SR is my support group. I am in a good place right now. Yesterday I was among drinkers and this morning I was offered a drink twice at someone's house. I didn't want it even 1%. Not tempted at all. Also I am unsure if this feeling will last. I think it will, but hoping "the other shoe" doesn't drop.

Did AA offer you something that you didn't receive elsewhere?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not in AA, but with myself I just found i needed to stay active in my recovery daily. I got real complacent after my first 100 days, and I realize that I just need to keep my mind in the game daily. I think AA does that for alot of people, and I think SR does that for alot of people as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA offered me a solution that worked. I did not find that anywhere else, and I certainly couldn't find it in myself. I was the problem.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Truth.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

A fantastic new way of living sober with purpose and joy
Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yoli View Post

- To be able to meet often with a variety of people for mutual support as we treat our common affliction.

- A place to study and discuss the literature in order to understand it more deeply.

- Opportunities to be of service and carry the message to other alcoholics.

- Fellowship with people who truly understand me.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yoli, I wouldn't worry too much about what you're missing out on. If you're doing fine without AA, then there's no reason to lose your evenings.

If things change, then that would be the time to reconsider.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think what is special about AA is one alcoholic helping another for the sole purpose of recovery.

There is the unity. There is the commonality. There is the guidance and direction. There is the fellowship. There is the opportunity to help others who need help.

There is the beautiful book Alcoholics Anonymous which has turned my life around.

There are wonderful recovered members that will share their experience, strength and hope with you.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wink

I'm still one the fence about AA.

Did AA offer you something that you didn't receive elsewhere?
It GAVE me a day of soberity one day at a time for over 30 years. It also gave me much peace and a feeling most of the time of being comfortable in my own skin. It TOOK AWAY that morning dispair of "I did it again" after I promised MYSELF the previous morning I won't drink today.
Try to remember this program is far more than just not drinking.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A solution.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A transformed life, a comfort with myself I'd never known, the opportunity to right most of my past wrongs, a feeling of usefulness and purpose, a life not driven by fear, a spiritual awareness I didn't know I was missing, a filling of my mind, body, and soul.

Oh, and lasting sobriety. Let's not forget that. I went through family, doctors, meds, outpatient treatment, rehab, and AA without the Steps before I became willing to work the spiritual solution offered. I failed at staying sober with all of them.

Like so many others on here, I stayed dry for a while, and then came the demoralizing relapse and disappointment. With AA and the Steps, all of that ended.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love the 12 steps and as using them for a design for living, I am able to be happy and useful to others. AA also lead me to re-connect my relationship with God, my faith and my spirituality.

The fellowship is amazing. I literally had no friends prior to AA. It was my own fault though because I had isolated myself so much.

It also comforting to know that I am not alone in my alcoholism and past experiences.

Oh and listening to those with lasting sobriety and taking their suggestions.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A plan.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
Yoli, I wouldn't worry too much about what you're missing out on. If you're doing fine without AA, then there's no reason to lose your evenings.

If things change, then that would be the time to reconsider.
Unfortunately for me, "things changing" meant driving around inner cities with strange men in my car offering me intravenous drugs.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yoli,
I'm on the fence about AA, too. But I go to 3-4 meetings a week because, well, it doesn't hurt me and I don't leave feeling worse than when I went in. I definitely think you have nothing to lose by trying it. Go to several meetings at several different locations (if you have the option) before you write it off. Give it your open mind and an honest try. You will never know otherwise.

That being said, I think people here will show you that there are many different paths to recovery. Some paths have included AA, some haven't.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have a meeting tonight...haven't been for almost 2 months because of rehab. I am SO excited to go. What I like about it? Simply put...'they' understand, they know, there's a comfort, compassion, added support, new friends, new avenues, new insights.
Internet support is great and I've resorted to this site daily in the past 2 months -but people need people...you need involvement. You need social support.
Most importantly comradery ~ only WE know the secret handshake.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

AA led me to believe that a power greater than myself could remove from me the obsession to drink alcohol. I found that power in God, and he has removed that obsession from me.

I tried to do things my way for a really long time. My way got me into lots and lots of trouble. Once I placed my trust in God and began to follow the path that I believe he wants me on, my life got immeasurably better. And it keeps getting better every day.

I know many people aren't religious, and neither did I consider myself to be. But AA put me on a path I never knew I wanted to be on, and I'm immensely grateful that it did.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The problem with many AA meetings is that what you hear isn't really AA. It's slogan-based abstinence, a pep-rally for not drinking. People come looking for a solution and are told to "not drink and go to meetings." Really? I thought you guys were supposed to tell me how to do that.

If you hang around long enough, you'll find people who understand what AA is-- a spiritual program of recovery for the chronic alcoholic.

Finding them before you die tends to be the tricky part.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

AA has given me hope. It has allowed me to forgive myself. It's easy to say we forgive ourselves, it's quite another to really mean it. By doing steps 4 and 5 I was able to do that. Admitting to myself, another person, and a god of my understanding my wrongs I felt them being taken away from me and the feeling was un-describable.

It also gives me a fellowship with other people that I just haven't found elsewhere. IN AA we come from all kinds of different walks of life. Poor, rich, black, white, etc... But we all share a common problem and are all looking for common solution ...

There is just something magical (I know it sound corny) that happens in those rooms. Like I was told, "I can't prove it to you, but it's been proven to me". It's just a good way for this alcoholic to live in this world.

I'm sure it's not the only way, but it's the only thing that has worked for me. SR is wonderful as well. It too is a huge part of my recovery. It's not about which is better. It's about how the both help me more than words can describe.

If you want to hear a little about what the AA message is and how it works, check out this site...

www.xa-speakers.org I would start at the Dr's Opinion and work my way down.

AA or no AA, we all wish you the best!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

What drew me in was that there wasn't any dues or fees and that there were alot of meetings. what kept me there was it worked.