Notices

newcomer to sobriety

Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lando

newcomer to sobriety

I've spent to the better part of my life drinking and abusing drugs. its been about 15 years now. I don't drink everyday i just binge drink on the weekends. starting on Friday and ending on Sunday. As i progressively get drunk, i get the urge to buy cocaine and that just fuels more drinking. this behavior has ruined more relationships than i care to admit.

about 2 weeks ago i made an effort to stay away and managed for two weeks to stay clean and sober until this past weekend. which made me lose someone i love to this addiction. i know i need to stay away from most of my friends because they like to drink and to be honest it feels like thats all we ever did together.

i feel alone and worried that ill never get on top of drinking. i worry that ill hurt myself or someone else on one of these drinking binges. I'm on here to see if maybe this forum can keep me from going back to this self-destructive behavior...
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, there is lots of support here. Hopefully you have made the decision to quit once and for all.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Welcome to SR Genetic, this is a wonderful place full of support.
-Jess
Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome genetic. You find a lot of support here at SR.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by geneticmaterial View Post
I've spent to the better part of my life drinking and abusing drugs. its been about 15 years now. I don't drink everyday i just binge drink on the weekends. starting on Friday and ending on Sunday. As i progressively get drunk, i get the urge to buy cocaine and that just fuels more drinking. this behavior has ruined more relationships than i care to admit.

Hi GM-

That is my story exactly.

I'd drink a few beers, maybe do a few shots, then it was off to get the coke. If I had a few girls with me to party with, then even better, but no girls no problem b/c I'll party anyway.

I'd then be up way too late, hung over way to often, and just in poor health in general.

I'd did this for years! ...and yes, some of it was a lot of fun, but man there was always problems associated with it.

Towards the last few years of my drinking, it got pathetic, but I honestly couldn't control it no matter how hard I tried.

Within a few shorts years, I was broken up with, fired from my job of 11 years, had to move, then got two duis. It's a miracle I never got caught with the drugs.

I'm now 15 months sober and my life improves everyday.

We can and do recover. I'm living proof, but I'm not special. You can be too.

Keep posting and reading on SR. I also recommend AA (or NA).

Kjell~
Old 03-29-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome, and thanks for joining us! I found this site less than 24 hours after I had the realization that I could no longer have a relationship with alcohol. That was just over a year ago; been here and alcohol-free ever since. There are lots of really great people here with tons of experience and support and knowledge to share with you. I sincerely hope you'll take advantage of this amazing resource.

I know all too well (as I'm sure many of our friends here do as well) what it is like to ruin relationships because of our addictions. I've severed many ties that can never be repaired. But since I've stopped drinking, the relationships that remain in my life, and the new ones that have begun, have gotten immensely better. I'm closer to my family and friends than I ever was when I was drinking, and I'm a better fiancee, brother, son, cousin, and friend than I had been the last 15 years or so.

Of course, there are some friends that I've drifted away from. The only thing I did with lots of my friends was drink, and since I don't do that these days, we don't see each other so much. But I don't really consider that a bad thing. I've just moved on and found other things to do, and they still do their thing, and that's all right with me. But on the other hand, I've also been able to have real fun with my friends, fun that involves actually doing things together besides getting wasted. I've also been able to be an example for my friends, some of whom have cut down on their drinking and asked me for help in doing so.

To be sure, cutting booze from your life, especially if it's been a large part of your life, will lead to changes. But I've found almost all of those changes to be positive.

Again, thanks for being here. I hope you'll hang around a while.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I sure do remember ther self-destructive behaviour on my part and I thought I could never get out of it either.

Know that you can do this. And, yes, it's much more than stopping drinking, so changing friends/places you go, etc is likely going to be necessary.

I hope you keep reading and posting here, and you will find lots of support.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Welcome and hope SR is as helpful for you as it has been for me. I've been amazed by the tremendous amount of wisdom and practical advice on here...and I see myself in almost all of the stories...

All of us are in this together and through mutual support we can and will make it! So glad you joined
Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

to SR
Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi geneticmaterial

Lots of great advice here already - I was wanted to add my .02...if you're prepared to work at it, you can do this...there will be chances involved, but getting sober and staying that way was the best decision of my life

good to have you with us - welcome

D
Old 03-29-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
lando

i want to thank you all for the words of inspiration. im hoping this is the place ill be when my urges attack. i just can't take this abuse to my mind or body anymore.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're here, genetic! You're not alone. We understand what it's like to suffer the consequences of alcohol.... once it takes over, it just slowly destroys us.

Life really can be good again. I wondered if I was capable of quitting, too, but with the support here, and just not drinking one day at a time, I've been able to get myself back. It really does get better!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by geneticmaterial View Post
i just can't take this abuse to my mind or body anymore.
Welcome to SR Genetic,
What you said, descibes perfectly what I knew, ....knew deep down, when I got here last year.

I've come to see it now as a "gift."

The gift of desperation.

Coming to SR , reading, posting and becoming willing to "do whatever it takes" has really helped (beyond belief, really) .....this past year.

Again, welcome !!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Genetic.
I just finished 6 weeks of rehab after drinking the better part of my life...30+ years. The first thing it was suggested we do besides admitting we had a problem was to change our playground and playmates.
Ya know....friends are important...but you'll be surprised how many friends are really there for you when you're clean and sober.
I hope you stick around and read up....lots of good info on this site.