Notices

Hi I am new.....

Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I am new.....

Hi I am new here and this is my first post. I really dont know where to begin, but I will try
I really want to quit drinking. the problem is that i am sorta scared..if that makes sence?! i am worried how I will do around different situations. My boyfriend and I have friends that have parties alot and wine tastings...ect and I am nervous about being around being in those situations. Also, I am a bartender and server and its so easy after work to sit and have a drink after. I just dont know where to begin. I would love any guidance anyone could give me.
I quit smoking 18 months ago and found a forum on line for help quiting smoking and it made all the difference. I am hoping this place can help the same way to help me quit drinking...thanks all!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Taking it one day at a time, getting in a recovering program (AA, SOS, S.M.A.R.T.), setting goals, change drinking friends and others. There is a lot of things you can do to quit drinking but it comes down to you, what will work the best.

Can you go in to detail on your drinking history if you don't mind.

SR will always welcome you.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi katgurl

I had a lot of fear of those situations too - over time I found that alcohol was not really the problem and I had no desire to drink, nor did many people pressure me to once I made it clear I was staying sober for good. But those were for nights out and parties, not a job so someone else with more experience will probably share.

Welcome to SR
Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It IS scary to think of stopping drinking, but know that you can do it.

However, I had to make some big changes in my life. I couldn't have worked as a bartender/service, definitely not. And, I had to do different things in my life. For me, I didn't want to be around alcohol at all for a very long time. It's about so much more than just stopping drinking.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I was afraid of not drinking too, since that's all I did. It took a while to get used to living sober but now, with over a year, I wouldn't trade this life for the drinking life. Sober is better. No health risks, no regrets, no self-hatred, no constantly feeling sick... the list of benefits to not drinking is endless.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome,

Those situations can and will be hard but a true friend never makes another person drink. You need to make the decision to quit drinking and once you have made that decision find a way to make it happen. Making changes in your social activities may have to be one of those difficult decisions.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This site is very helpful! I am well into my sobriety but just being here just helps all the more and makes it easier on me.

Hope you are able to get the help you need! We're all here for you!

Just take it one day a time and you'll do great. I promise!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Katgurl

D
Old 03-28-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been drinking alot for like the last 6 years aafter I goy divorced....and lately I have been getting out of control. It seems like I have been drinking more since I quit smoking, its like I gave that bad habit and replaced it with drinking.
Thank you for all the welcomes
Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love pics of your meezers! I used to have 4 of them <3
Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Glad you are here
Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm new here too... a lot of support on these forums. Don't be afraid to just get your thoughts out on here, that's helped me a lot and I've gotten a lot of great advice & reassurance from it. Good luck, and I agree that it's easiest to go "one day at a time."
Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a great place for support
Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome katgurl (i'm a cat lover, too!)

I was really scared when I first quit and worried about being around people drinking, too. I took the advice to take it "one day at a time" (and sometimes I had to break it down even further and just get through one hour at a time). That made a huge difference - the thought of giving up alcohol forever was just too much to deal with.

By the time the first social/drinking event came up, I was able to get through it with very little discomfort. But in the first few days, there was no way I could have done it - all I could do was just stay sober (I hung out here a LOT)!

So give yourself some time - and just don't do the social scene for a while........ (I'd also make it a point not to hang around after work.....in other words, just make it as easy as possible on yourself, OK?)

Glad you're here (congrats on the smoking, too!):day6