Notices

Unsure where to go from here..

Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsure where to go from here..

Hi y'all. After yet another failed attempt to drink 'like a normal person', I'm at my wit's end. I can't keep doing this same BS over and over again expecting it to change. I've tried quitting before but in the end my cravings and denial won out over my willpower. It's like when I'm not being kicked in the face by my bad habits, I can't seem to convince myself I have any.

I want to make a change, for good. I'm in the military and my career is my life. This thing threatens that career every time I go out and drink the way I do. I have 2 main options in mind, because doing it by myself has never worked before and I don't think it will now.

There's a program through medical, outpatient, but my command would have to know about the issues I'm having. I'm really hesistant to let anyone know, especially because I'm underage. There's also supposedly an AA group that meets in our base chapel 2 days a week. I didn't really care for the one AA meeting I went to a few months ago in my previous city, but maybe it'd be different here. Anyone have any words of advice for me? Or just a "keep going"? Thank you so much.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am ex military, and was an underage drinker as well. I think it's really cool that you have the self knowledge to see you have a problem. When I was your age I didn't even think about it, it was just what I did. So you've gotten to the most important part, you realize you have a problem controlling your drinking.

As far as the next step, getting help or support, many here will tell you that if you have AA available to take advantage of it. I have been able to stay sober putting my own program together and using the support of this forum.

If you want to discuss your drinking issues more indepth you can PM me. I went from a heavy binge drinker a couple times a week to a daily drinker over my 27 year drinking career, I do know what worked for me and what didn't. If I can be of any help to you let me know.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I also think it's great that you are aware that you have a problem and want to stop drinking. Good for you!

I don't know whether or not you should let your bosses know what's going on with you. My feeling is to be very careful because you can't be sure how people will react. But, at the same time you should do whatever you need to do in order to get sober.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Check out the other AA meetings...do not "keep going", if you are an alcoholic you will have just as much difficulty in controlling stopping drinking all together as you will moderating and some work will need to be done on you by you, with face to face help of course:-)