OT Rejected

Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT Rejected

I'm feeling pretty crappy at the moment. I've put my heart and soul into my undergraduate major and I've just been rejected from all of the graduate schools I applied to. "Insufficiently competitive GPA."

I, once again, feel like I'm behind in the world and just can't catch up. I can't seem to be at the level that everyone else it at. I worked my *ss off for my major in college- I didn't party, I didn't do drugs, hell I never even missed a class, and the payoff is rejection. great.

My junior year in college I was dealing with a whole bunch of family drama (my grandpa died, our inheritance stolen, my home went up for sale, my brother was homeless, my mom moved out of state, and over the summer my grandma died, all with an A father in the mix to make things worse)... and I still made the Dean's List (3.5 or higher) both semesters!

I know that this is just an emotion and that it will pass. I guess I just wanted something in my life to go RIGHT. And once again, it hasn't. It just sucks. One of my mentors told me that I should look at this as an opportunity to do something different and new with my life, which i can, but it doesn't help me through the grief.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi cb12,
I am going to therapy as I have a tendency to self boycott in all areas. Perhaps it would be useful to talk this out with a pro...? I often go back to sadness, failure, let downs as I am "in my element" there, its all I have known... sometimes the fear of success, joy, happiness, recognition is huge, and it can work unconsciously. Just some observations in my own life (like working my a$$ off and never getting recognition, bonus, promotion, time off... something...)

I hope you all the best
Old 03-27-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sorry for your disappointment.

Is there any way you could bring up the GPA a bit, say, by taking a couple of evening courses? Is there anything else you can do that might compensate for a too-low GPA and somehow get your foot in the door of a program?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LexieCat-- I can take some courses and get a certificate to be an assistant which is what I might do. Get the certificate, do some work in the field as an assistant and then reapply next year. It's just one of those things that caught me off guard-- I really thought I had this one in the bag.

Thanks TakingCharge999, it has been one of those days.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, I hear ya. It IS disappointing when we have our plans made and they don't work out.

In my experience, though, even disappointments sometimes work out the way they should. Maybe the assistantship will wind up being a big asset in your later career--it can be an opportunity for networking, and the professional experience is never wasted.

Hugs,
Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sorry you did not get into your graduate school.
Like TC, I can get very comfortable in "nothing ever goes right for me" or "I dont deserve it."
Being a certified assistant will give you time and experience.
Keep moving forward, before you know it, you will have what you need.

Beth