Notices

Scared

Old 03-27-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

I have yet to stop drinking, but have met with an addiction counselor and had the MAC and SASSI test. He has recomended an out patient rehab center, meeting with them for 4 nights a week.

I am afraid, scared to death of the withdrawal symptoms. I plan on waiting till Good Friday through that Monday to stop drinking. Actually I will stop on the Wednesday before so that if I have any of the major withdrawal symtoms I will be away from work. My counselor is going to talk to my husband tomorrow to help me start cutting back and hopefully make my detox easier. He asked to allow my husband to make my drinks and that we decide on the amount.

I will attend an AA meeting with him tomorrow night.

I am sooooooooo scared! I don't want to fail and I am scared of having convulsions or seizures.

I am happy that I found this site. Reading several of the threads has helped a lot!

Swaggar
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing it right. Do you have medical care ready for the detox? It isn't easy, but you can do this. Stay strong and be open in rehab and AA.

SR is a wonderful place for support. Welcome.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great you are headed to rehab -I love going! I have two more nights and my counselor said we can stretch it out alittle! LOL
I hope this all works for you. I wasn't very good with 'planned' quitting. That would make me drink more before the day I quit and when I started again I'd drink enough to make up for lost time.
You are very fortuante that you have support from your husband. He will be your rock.
Good for you and I wish you the best.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Swagger, keep the medical support close by, but don't let the fear absorb you, nor should you wait until a date in the future. Now, my friend, is the time to do. Each hour that you wait, that is another hour your alcoholic-side can talk you out of doing it. Not everyone has withdrawals. I have drank heavily for over 30 years and never have had symptoms other than cravings. I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU GO COLD TURKEY BY YOURSELF!! Please note that. Error in your favor, see your doctor, but don't let that fear keep you from living free of the addiction. If you should have problems, your physician will be ready to assist. Talk openly to your doctor, inform of your intentions to quit and go for it. With firm determination and setting the medical stage for your recovery, fear will dissipate like fog with the morning sun. Fear is a weak foe once you stand up to it. Best of luck!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for responding.

My first few days in out patient rehab will be testing with the psychiatrist and internal doctor to check my health mentally and physically.

We live out in the country, miles away from a hospital, so my daughter that lives 5 minutes away from our big hospital will switch homes with my husband and I just 'in case'.

I feel it will be in my parameters to wait until that week of Easter to stop drinking. I think with my husband to help me with the amount of drinking till then will make it easier. He is gentle and supportive, yet will be strong to help me over come this!

Swaggar
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, I agree, that's awfully far off for a quit date.

Do it now. See your doctor tomorrow if you are concerned about withdrawal. The longer you wait, the more you will build it up into your mind as a huge deal.

You could be through withdrawal in 3-4 days, no longer than you'd be out for a bad cold. You could be three weeks sober by Good Friday.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Being scared is totally normal. I remember being terrified - scared that I couldn't stop drinking, but scared to think about a life without it, too. I didn't know what to expect from withdrawals either........ thank goodness there are doctors/meds who can help.

I'm so glad you have support and are getting sober in spite of your fears. Things will get better. Take it one day and one step at a time. Keep posting and reading. We know what you're going through.....:ghug3
Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It sounds like you've got a great support system set up although I'm not sure I would put it off that long though. Good luck, take care of yourself and keep us posted.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gosh, all the support is overwhelming! Thanks everyone! Waiting till Good Friday week will help me not miss any work if I experience severe withdrawal side effects.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I suggest that you see a Dr. to help manage the withdrawal symptoms.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Once I realized the "jig was up" and I wasn't going to be able to drink again, ever, I was full of fear.

50/50 though. I was just as scared to quit and never drink again as I was scared at what was going to happen if I kept drinking.

Please make sure you're not making a "quit" date (as opposed to quitting now) for the wrong reasons.

To thy own self be true

Kjell~
Old 03-27-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Swaggar

Everyone's scared - whether it's of withdrawal or living life without alcohol or both.
But you'll find a lot of support here - you'll be ok

Finding a Dr now and speaking with them may help take away some of the withdrawal fear- just a suggestion.

D
Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Swagger, although it would be good to give up now, I also planned a quit date 3 weeks before I actually stopped, I got all my ducks in a row, support from a family member and doctor, planned it so my detox did not impact my work. The day came and I went ok now it begins, it worked for me, I did not have the extra stress of worrying about work etc. So if this is your plan it can work as it did for me. Of course now is better but I truly understand your approach. I am now 3 months and feel it was the best decision to stop, thinking of you and wishing you all the best.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Went to my first AA meeting tonight with my addiction counselor. Told my daughter in the first few days, the one thing I would not do is go to an AA meeting. Nothing but old homeless drunks there! I was so overwhelmed how people spoke to me, and letting me know they knew just how I felt being the first time vistor there. I also got about 15 phone numbers to call and all of the women came to me and hugged me and told me to hang in there. I am going to call one of them this week! WOW, just WOW.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's great, Swaggar. Why not call one of those women tomorrow, even if just to say how much it means? Really glad you've got such great support.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad you had a good first experience with AA--it always sort of amazes me the image people have of AA versus the reality.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I too recently had the
Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on going to AA, I always like hearing about people's first times. I agree with those who encourage you to quit ASAP rather than setting a quit date. If it is simply too much of a health issue to quit ASAP, then perhaps "cutting back" is necessary. But if at all possible, I recommend quitting now...setting a quit date for alcohol or anything else is playing with fire.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear you're going well Swaggar!
Welcome to newcomers Zeebee

D