Notices

Sober Sunday's

Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Sunday's

Ahhhhhhhhh.... how I love them. For me, Sunday was always a tough day when drinking. I was either VERY hungover because I drank "boat loads" on Saturday. Which left me laying around all day - afraid. OR, I would have gotten very drunk on Friday and had my hangover on Saturday, and by Sunday morning, I'd be so freaking excited to drink I could never decide what time to start drinking.

When I was drinking Sunday's were the most confusing day of the week. So many times I'd have "a couple of beers" and they would turn into many many beers, with shots to follow, which lead to me calling in sick to work on Monday. Remember the terror of knowing you've drank far to much to work on Monday and asking yourself "HOW DID THIS HAPPEN AGAIN"????

I know I sure do.

Today, I almost have 4 months sober. I played with my little boy this morning and let my wife sleep in. I am going to go to a meeting later, and maybe play some golf. This afternoon, have my extended family over for a cookout and watch golf and basketball.

What a good life this has turned out to be!!! The misery in which I used to live life is baffling to me.

I hope everyone has a great day today. Let's all get out there and live!!!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amen!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Remember the terror of knowing you've drank far to much to work on Monday and asking yourself "HOW DID THIS HAPPEN AGAIN"????
Yea I know that feeling ALLLLLLLLLL to well! Or ya get to work feeling sick and full of anxiety! I'm going to go lift weights and hopefully this rain will stop long enough to take the dogs out for a while. I went out driving last night and didn't get full of dread when I saw a blue light
Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have an awesome day planned. You are a very fortunate man. Enjoy that family.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sunday's for me were always game on. I'd start early in the morning so I could make the most of my drinking day. Now that I think about it, its 10:30AM here and normally I'd already have a few beer in me and a buzz going.

Reggiewayne, I'm happy to be joining you sober on this fine Sunday! Congrats on 4months!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I love sober Sunday! I don't sit around all day waiting for 5:00 so I can start drinking.

My day starts when I wake up!

Nice 4 months, btw.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Reggie you have described a wonderful Sunday! i hope you have great weather...it's still in the 30s here so golfing and barbq yet.

fast forward my sober sunday to the evening....and there is NO SUNDAY NIGHT ANXIETY that booze tended to create....
Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
What a good life this has turned out to be!!! The misery in which I used to live life is baffling to me.
Isn't it crazy?! Great post!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations ReggieW on your 4 months! I am only at 5 weeks. You inspire me!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats on 4 months, and a well-planned Sunday! Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree RW. I used to look at Sunday as the most stressful day of the week. I was always dreading Monday, always had to get stuff done was either hungover or getting loaded. I was a mess, now Sunday's are the most relaxing day or the week!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks reggiewayne.

I really enjoy your posts- they are very spiritual and wise. They keep me centered and on the right path.

Wishing all the SR family a great, sober Sunday! Yoli
Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 months! I, too, love Sundays now, and totally relate to being excited to drink again later each day. Wow! To think that getting drunk would excite me! Now, I would dread feeling like that again.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome post Reggie, Thanks!!!

..Mike
Old 03-27-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hooray for sober Sundays!

Today I watched TV, did a yoga nidra relaxation, did laundry, read some of my book, took a nap in the middle of the day and enjoyed supper with my mother. No big plans, but it all feels so nice and peaceful.

Life is good.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Reggie! Your weekends sound a lot like mine were. Exactly, actually. I think the only differences I read was your choice of drink. If it was evening, I had red wine. If it was daylight or morning (especially Sunday mornings) it was always champagne. I still feel a little "itchy" on Sundays when I have nothing to do. Today I'm cleaning my house with obsessive ferver, LOL. It does feel good to be sober and hang with the people who matter. Congratulations! I'm exactly 2 months behind you (60 days tomorrow). Enjoy the rest of the day!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the nice words!! I hope you all had a great day!!! BTW, I'm not yet at 4 months (don't want to jinx myself). I'm close, but not quite there lol...
Old 03-28-2011, 03:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's great to enjoy the weekends feel good and get things accomplished. My Sundays were a lot like yours. I was either too hung over to get off the couch and do anything at all or starting out my day with bloody Marys. Either way, what a waste of many great days. I'm just thankful now that I can enjoy my weekends sober and my family can now look forward to the weekends as well, instead of wondering what I might do THIS weekend to embarass or upset them or myself. I too can't believe how insane that was. My alcoholic mind was always able to forget what I'd done the weekend before in anticipation of the first drink. Things are so much better now, even on the worst sober day. Thanks for the great post!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You described my drinking weekends and former Sundays to a tee!
It's amazing the commonalities we all share.

We don't need to live in misery anymore.

Everyday can and does get better and better.

Thanks for the post.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I love sober Sundays too! They were often my biggest drinking days because I was trying to get rid of the weekend hangovers (usually, but not always, worse than the weekday hangovers) AND get drunk AND ease my worries about starting the week. I never understood why people found Sunday mornings relaxing until I experienced sober Sundays.