Notices

Is this detox?

Old 03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this detox?

Back again after a little over a year off the wagon. Today is my second day sober.

I have never experienced much in the way of withdrawal in any previous attempt to get sober. Maybe a bad hangover for a day, and then I'm pretty much back to myself, more or less. But this time is different.

Yesterday I had some of the hangover symptoms, fatigue, depression, weakness, nausea, etc. I stayed in bed all day and waited for the relief to come in the evening, but it didn't. I didn't sleep the night before at all (night of my last binge).

Today I have had more of the same, plus a killer headache, leg cramps, and earler today I think I had a minor hallucination. Sounds silly, but I thought I saw one of my dogs enter the kitchen when they were all outside.

Still weak, still have a headache, but after several small meals and lots of water, finally beginning to feel a little better.

Is this detox? Or did I just have a really, really horrible hangover?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Might be. How much had you been drinking before you quit? I don't mean the last binge, but leading up to it.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At least a bottle of wine a day. Not much, by some standards here. The night I binged I drank some scotch along with the wine.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, your body is probably used to having that "dose" of alcohol every day. It probably is withdrawal, but hopefully it won't be too severe. If you are starting to feel better, you've probably been through the worst of it.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

could be withdrawal or exhaustion? Did you sleep last night/today? (I know you stayed in bed.. but were you sleeping?)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, I hope so. I've had far more to drink on some nights than I had on Thursday, and never experienced anything like this. I feel like I've wasted two whole days. But at least it's got me back to wanting sobriety again.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
could be withdrawal or exhaustion? Did you sleep last night/today? (I know you stayed in bed.. but were you sleeping?)
Yes, i did sleep, fitfully, some of the day yesterday and I slept last night, too. Today I haven't been sleeping, just weak. Hoping for a better and more restorative sleep tonight.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes you are in de tox mode.

Keep drinking water...try to eat...walking is good.
The point is to rid your mind and body of of toxins
as quickly as possible.

Alcohol is a chemical toxic liquid.

If things get worse...please check with your doctor

Welcome back to SR....
Old 03-27-2011, 12:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Carol.
Please see your Dr if you have any concerns at all.

D
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

carol nailed it,

hope you dont get that never ending feeling of impending doom,

and the creepy crawlies

good wishes laura

and yep lots of H2O
Old 03-27-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like detox to me. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it sounds like your withdrawal symptoms are getting progressively worse. Remember how you feel now, it might help you to stay sober in the future.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good advice here, so I will just add my good wishes to your recovery.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. At first I thought I was just sick with something on top of a hangover, but I guess you are right. I know it is progressive and that I can only expect detox to be worse each time, but I've never had this situation of feeling worse and worse instead of better by evening.

The worst part is that my husband is laid up right now with a broken bone, and he's been dependent upon me. I haven't been able to help him much at all the past two days, so he's been on his own. I should have been able to be there for him. Makes me feel like a crappy wife. I should have planned for this, instead of getting to the point of having to do it (via binge).

The good news is that, although it's early, I seem to feel much better today. Got better sleep last night with some food in me, and it seems to have helped. Headache is gone, weakness is less, but I still have leg cramps. I think I'll try to get back into my normal routine today, as much as possible, without the wine, of course. Get some laundry done for my husband and me, and get to the grocery store to prepare for the work week.