Notices

Going to a mini-high school reunion tonight....

Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to a mini-high school reunion tonight....

and am a little nervous because they are all heavy drinkers. I was always the responsible one back in the day (25 years ago) so I'm sure they will think I'm exaggerating or something if I tell them I have alcohol issues. My alcoholism is more late onset (when I turned 40). I'll be fine, but thought I'd post a thread so I have someone to be accountable to. Thanks for listening.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
and am a little nervous because they are all heavy drinkers. I was always the responsible one back in the day (25 years ago) so I'm sure they will think I'm exaggerating or something if I tell them I have alcohol issues. My alcoholism is more late onset (when I turned 40). I'll be fine, but thought I'd post a thread so I have someone to be accountable to. Thanks for listening.
Yeah, going may be educational for you.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Best of luck!!!

I'm wondering if you really have to tell them you have issues with alcohol tonight? Could you just decline alcohol when offered and stick to water or soda seeing that they think of you as basically a non-drinker? If you feel ready to share this part of your life do so, by all means...but bear in mind that it may put a damper on the event especially since it sounds like drinking will be happening... just my thoughts and I wish you a fun and sober reunion!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi soberween. I went to a mini high school reunion a couple of weeks ago.
It was 20 women that I had not seen in over 30 years. I got through it without drinking just fine. (There was a decision not to have alcohol at the event) so there was no direct stress there.

However - I found that after the event - I was struck very susceptible to relapse. For some reason, craving hit pretty hard. I didn't give in to it,
and still am sorting out the why's of it. I was comparing myself
to other's and fell short in my own mind. There were a few more reasons,
but these really aren't important.

Also, don't know why you would want to disclose a lot about your drinking vs
not drinking unless you plan to continue on with a close relationship to some of your reunion friends. Catching up from the past is grand but it really doesn't need to be detailed as all that IMHO.

Anyway I want to warn you about getting through the event with flying colors as far as not drinking goes and then getting hit with all kinds of varying emotions and not understanding what is happening.

I don't know the length of your sobriety, I was just at 6 weeks when I went.
Proud to say I have continued on without interruption and am at 9 weeks today.

Good luck to you and treasure your sobriety.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I made it through it just fine and managed to have a really good time. Lots of laughter. I ended up no disclosing that I have "alcohol issues." I ended up just saying that I was driving and fortunately no one said "can't you have just one?" Mtnmagic....thanks for the tip. I hope this won't trigger any cravings for the "good ole days." I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.