Notices

new here

Old 03-25-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here

hello I am new here and I am struggling with reasons to quit drinking. i drink on weekends but struggle every weeknight to abstain. years ago i quit smoking and the thing that gave me the drive was that i got a bad cold and my lungs were clearly not keeping up. i am unemployed so have alot of time on my hands and just having a hard time convincing myself that i should not drink.
thank you
Old 03-25-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You're right that it does take a lot of motivation.

And, I think just stopping drinking without changing other things in your life probably wouldn't work. Why not get out in your community and do some kind of volunteer work, or take a course, do something that would interest you and take your mind off drinking.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool

Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi beckster

Welcome to SR
Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi beckster

Welcome!
Joining here is a great start

I agree with Anna tho - quitting drinking can be really difficult...personally I think it's on a whole other level to cigarettes...because drinking was such a big part of my life - even when I wasn't drinking, I was thinking about it - I had to make some big changes in my life.

You'll find a lot of support here tho.
Good to have you with us

D
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Why do you want to quit?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

because i know it is bad, like i know i shouldnt.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I struggled to moderate or abstain for years. It was exhausting. So much easier to just give up the fight ,and quit drinking for good.

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beckster98 View Post
because i know it is bad, like i know i shouldnt.

If you want to get to the root of why you want to quit, I think you may have to be a bit more specific than that.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i should note that i also have a problem with eating, have all my life and when i finally started to do well on weight watchers, is when i began to have trouble with drinking. i have a huge issue with deprivation, so i have a hard time wanting to quit drinking, because i have nothing to replace it with. i could say i will read, exercise, and do all these great things but perhaps you guys know that they just do not seem to give the same reward.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Beckster, Beckster,.... Please re-read your posts for yourself, here they are:

1) hello I am new here and I am struggling with reasons to quit drinking. i drink on weekends but struggle every weeknight to abstain. years ago i quit smoking and the thing that gave me the drive was that i got a bad cold and my lungs were clearly not keeping up. i am unemployed so have alot of time on my hands and just having a hard time convincing myself that i should not drink.
thank you

2) because i know it is bad, like i know i shouldnt.

3) i should note that i also have a problem with eating, have all my life and when i finally started to do well on weight watchers, is when i began to have trouble with drinking. i have a huge issue with deprivation, so i have a hard time wanting to quit drinking, because i have nothing to replace it with. i could say i will read, exercise, and do all these great things but perhaps you guys know that they just do not seem to give the same reward.

My thoughts:
1) Where do you get money to drink and eat if you are unemployed? Are you comfortable with that? Will it take bad health for you to stop drinking? IMHO until you truly believe you shouldn't/can't drink you probably will.

2) To "know" its bad. Obviously not enough at this point in time to make you convince yourself to quit.

3) What is the "reward" for drinking? Its different for everyone, but for many its an escape from real life. Have you become "comfortably numb". If so you are depriving yourself of life, speaking of deprivation issues.

The choice is yours, won't bother you with my "war stories". If and when you decide to quit, it will take work on yourself, the benefits of which would be wonderous.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What reward from drinking are you talking about? The loss of control over ourselves? The loss of jobs and family? Losing yourself in a life that could fully be lived? Isolating yourself from reality? Never admitting your denial and true feelings? Not getting in touch with yourself spiritually?
I didn't reap any rewards from drinking...! Maybe I'm missing the point of it all.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I could never quit drinking based on self-knowledge. I always picked it up again, with a brain full of bad memories that were clear and vivid.

Alcoholism is a disease of insanity.

If you believe you are powerless over alcohol, try AA. If you don't, there are other people here who can help you.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Beckster,

Actually in the past I knew drinking was bad and bothered my family, but I didn't WANT to stop.

Even when I first joined 10 days ago I was still hoping I could drink in moderation. I read all the stories of other people who tried and failed. I had tried and failed. I finally came to the conclusion I wanted to quit. Before I really couldn't see the rest of my life without alcohol at least for special occasions. Before I knew I should quit, but I didn't want to.

Read everyones' stories and digest it. Welcome!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Love that quote! (Oops, that was for you, Draciak!)