Husband in recovery

Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband in recovery

Hi everyone. Some of you may remember some of my previous posts, but my story is similar to many of you on here... My husband is an addict.

We had been "sort-of" separated for almost a year, although it was a complicated year with some back and forths in the beginning. He basically lived with his elderly mother and his addict sister in a "pharmacy". It is a very depressing place to visit, let-alone live.

In January he hit his "bottom" and went into rehab - his own choice. Against the advice of EVERYONE, I allowed him to move back into our home with me and my two small children after the completion of rehab. After a lot of consideration (and many, many sleepless nights), I felt it was better for his recovery to be in a drug-free, positive and happy environment.

I set boundaries. I stayed strong and I am taking care of me. And after over a month, I am happy to say that he is doing very well in his recovery. He attends meetings every single day, shares at all of them, got himself a sponsor and is working his program and doing the steps, and even started meditating. He even volunteered at his "home" meetings to greet and such. He went back to work and is doing very well. He looks great and is the happiest I had seen him in a long, long time. I am very proud of him that he is actually following through with something. I am very hopeful that he continues on the right path. Our relationship still needs to be worked on and the month wasn't easy for me every single day. But I continue to work on my own recovery.

I know it is still VERY VERY VERY early in his recovery but I just wanted to share this happy month of mine with everyone. Please keep us in your prayers so that he may find the courage and strength to continue with his recovery. I know we have a very LONG LONG road ahead of us, and the future is uncertain... but it feels so nice to have a little hope and happiness back in my life.

xoxo to all!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Chloe))) - you and your family are in my prayers that he continues on his path of "recovery road". Sounds like he's off to a good start, and so are you!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Chloe.....I am so happy for you!

I am also married to an A. He also went to rehab in Jan & has been seeing his counselor & working his program.

I try not to fall into the trap of worrying everyday for the next crisis. Figuring out what will happen in the future. Nobody knows what the future holds, not even non-addict families. So as long as he is working his program & my boundaries are not compromised, I am here. That makes me happy. And it's my choice.

I know this is life long. He is still changing everyday. Some are great, some are good, and some are rough. But they are moving forward in a positive direction & I can do that!

Hope that your future stays bright! My thoughts are with you!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So happy to hear the good news
Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! It's been so long since we have had any happiness together and it feels good. I am hoping for the best.

BarelyThere... keeping you in my thoughts as well and hoping for a positive future for you as well!!

xoxo
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

chloe
You and your husband will be in my prayers today.
gentle hugs