Notices

Totally quit or cut back?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Totally quit or cut back?

I decided 11 days ago to put down the wine bottle for a few weeks.
I've been a regular wine-o for about 5 years. Typically consuming a bottle twice a week. My decision to put it down came to a front when I was brutally hung over for the umpteenth time, and eating all the garbage food I could get my hands on. My thoughts on that day, only 11 days ago:
-I'm hungover 2 days a week, and drinking on 2 evenings a week; a lot of lost time and productivety
-I have no problems with food unless I'm hungover. I can eat 2 days worth of food in half a day hungover. It's impossible to lose this 10 pounds of wine blub with this cylce
-I'm starting to look forward to my wine nights, and I find that I've been rewarding hard work and productive days with a bottle of wine

Just curious though, is it possible for a person to eventually use alcohol (reasonably) after mis-using it for years?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here.

As far as your question
is it possible for a person to eventually use alcohol (reasonably) after mis-using it for years?
I was unable to do so. I tried that many times and I only wound right back up where I started from. Can people do it? I don't know, I only know what my experience has been. I know today that there is no way I can go back to drinking as it leads me right back into alcohol abuse. I am truly an alcoholic for me that means I can not drink at all.

Take care. I do hope you are an exception to the rule and can go back drinking like a normal drinker if that is what you choose to try.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome!

I think the question is whether or not you are an alcoholic. If you are not an alcoholic then stopping for awhile and cutting down will work fine. If you are an alcoholic, trying to control your drinking will not work. Most of us on these boards have tried numerous times to gain control and drink moderately. What usually happens is that our drinking worsens.

See how you get through the next few weeks or month and you should have an answer.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am unable to do so...and I think you kind of answered your own question Most people that could drink moderately could reward themselves with a glass of wine.
Rewarding yourself with a bottle of wine is heading right back to where you were. JMHO
Old 03-23-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you're trying manage an unmanageable lifestyle. I did this for years. It's the Jekle and Hyde mentality. I'm one way certain days during the week then someone else on other days. IMO it's not sustainable.

What you are describing is the mental obsession of alcoholism. Normal drinkers don't think like this. I certainly do and can relate very well because I am an alcoholic. For me, it's much more fufilling to get into recovery and not every worry about hangovers....

Just my two cents.

Best of luck!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onthefence123 View Post
Just curious though, is it possible for a person to eventually use alcohol (reasonably) after mis-using it for years?
Welcome!!!

For this alcoholic, no, not even after 14 years.

But, the Big Book states that if a person needs convincing, it may be helpful to attempt to control your drinking.

If you're successful, congratulations, if you aren't, you know where to find us.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome onthefence
It wasn't possible for me no...

there are better rewards than a bottle of wine

good luck - you'll find a lot of support here
D
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it was possible for you then you'd be doing it and not need the question answered.

So, in your case reality provides your answer.

The question is since you cannot "use alcohol (reasonably) after mis-using it for years", what are you going to do about that?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you're not an alcoholic, it should be fairly easy for you to just have a glass of wine and leave it at that.

If you can't accomplish that—if one glass makes you want to drink the rest of the bottle—then I guess you have your answer.

And as SailorJohn said, we'll be here.