Notices

How to choose or get a sponsor.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to choose or get a sponsor.

Are there any special recomendations as far getting a sponsor? I recently changed where as i was going to meetings and would like a sponsor there? Do i just ask?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Others will be along who can advise you on this topic.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

There is a great pamphlet on Sponorship at the meetings I read it and there is some great stuff on there. I would think there might be some link on here to some sort of reading?

For me I waited a few and went to lots of meetings and looked for a women who had what I wanted. She was spiritual, she had done the steps before, she had a sponsor. Most of all she had been sober for awhile 15+ years at least IMO

I went to some women meetings looking and although I did wait some people don't advise that cause you can always get a temporary one if it works out great and if not well adios.

Good luck and try and ask people like you are on here, maybe try and bring it up as a topic in one of your meetings? Good luck
Old 03-23-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Look for someone who has worked the steps of AA and had a spiritual awakening, you then ask them to help you to achieve the same, by doing the same:-)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found it to be a methodical process of speaking with lots of people to determne who really is applying the spiritual principles of the program as a way of life. Who has had the spiritual awakening promised us?

Not all the words many have, but the way in which they respond outside the rooms when life goes on.

Lots of people talk a good talk in meetings.

The real question for me is, how do they live their lives?

I called many peole repeatedly just to get to know them better. Do they return calls? Can they direct you in the BB & 12 X 12 to the spiritual principles available to us for the answer? Are they consistent & reliable?

I found patterns became quite apparent and those I was considering were often sponsored by the same person.

In the end, I went directly to the guy that lived the most spiritual life in action, who had numerous sponsees who were also living that type of live to be the best man for me.

Reading that AA piece on sponsoorship is also great advice.

Having a solid temp sponsor in the interim is great while you find your answer.

Hope that helps......great question!