Notices

Alcohol to food

Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol to food

It's been over a month now since I drank anything. It was not a real hard thing to do. But for the pass week, I've been fighting now to over eat at night. In the morning and afternoon, I don't get hurt and I can one to two meals but when it gets late, I get really hungry. I feel like I'm switching alcohol to food. I trying to lose 5 more pounds and I can't do this if I'm eating all my calories at night. I'm trying to keep my daily calorie intake to 1500 a day and not to go over 2000 but I can't do this if I'm consume all in one sitting. I feel like I'm switching alcohol to food. I know this because I crave sugar things like cake, candy and ice cream. I'm not in the mood to drink or anything but I feel like just drinking alcohol just to not do these binge eating things.

I have not been a big eater in 10 years and I hate feeling stuff. It's almost as bad as feeling hangover. SRS

Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us found a hitherto unknown sweet tooth ACT10n.

I'm not really the person to ask because I still indulge in sweets and I still have a tendency to eat one main meal, although I'm trying to change my habits and eat more regularly....& retrain my body out of that 'hibernation state' where it stores the fat.

I know some members here have some experience with something based on a hypoglycemic diet...healthy food, small portions, eaten regularly...up to the 6 times a day I believe...

Checking with your doctor is always a good idea before starting a diet...but with something like that you may not feel as hungry or as ravenous for sweets?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-23-2011 at 04:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was the guy who skipped breakfast (to hungover to eat) ate lunch, didn't eat dinner till after midnight (so I could get the most out of drinking).

I eat breakfast now, eat a healthier lunch and a good dinner each night, I do have some chocolate but I am cutting down on the junk food.

It's been 31 days and yes I eat a lot more than used to, I think we all have our own adjustment patterns...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it's hard to bust out of sugar cravings....but they will subside. try to keep the bad stuff out of the house and substitute with fruit.

i used to be too hungover to eat breakfast too...but now i always have fruit and usually an egg omelette with veggies/low fat cheese or oatmeal...mid morning i go for something sweet so i use the low fat cereal bars.

i try to cut down on carbs at lunchtime and usually have a salad with meat and a cup of broth based soup with extra veggies i add in (easy stuff like baby carrots and spinach)..carbs and sugar tend to make me feel sleepie and i want to save that for nighttime...(because sleep was always a big problem when i was drinking)
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you really feel bad about it, you could always start working out. I eat like a horse when I'm sober. So I have a tendency to put on weight during the first month or so. After that, I find motivation to start going to the gym with regularity, and get back into good/great shape. (I'm actually really blessed with good genetics for working out.)

But enough about me.........look: the bottom line is this: I've never heard of anyone eating too much and getting into a fight because of it. I've never heard of someone getting a DWI for eating too much at a buffet. You HAVE to eat. You don't HAVE to drink alcohol. Don't feel bad about what you're doing. Like I said, if you really start feeling bad about your image, you can always start working out. Right now, just worry about not drinking.

Just some FOOD for thought. (LOL. And I don't mean to cram my advice down your throat either. I'm just speaking from personal experience. I wish you nothing but the best in recovery.)
Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your body still craves carbohydrates.Your system will eventually adjust. I didn't eat while I drank and after I stopped gained about 30 lbs.Yikes. But when you think of all the toxens that are being ingested it takes a while for them to be flushed out. Congrats on 30 days,keep it up you can do this!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a person that workout 5 times a week. I'm in to bodybuilding and eat healthy but this binge eating is just getting to me. I'm guessing I need to use some well power on my part to stop it. I can't eat anymore today because of last night. Not that hard to do because I don't eat that much in the afternoon. Thanks for the help. :-)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im eating more junk food and drinking coke. However i havent hurt anyone for 3 months. i'm happy with that for now.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been eating 4 to 5 meals a day i seem to alwas be hungery I think it's because i starved my body for so many years. This is day 31 sobor I will keep eating way better then drinking have not gained a pound
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I ate everything in sight for about a week around day 30. Now I try to keep fruit or a healthy snack close by during the day. I have found having a healthy filling snack between meals really helps me and keeps me from eating every sweet within reach.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. I am working on this right now.

"Self will run riot".

That is me. I have joined AA to help me with my drinking and it has. Many other areas of my life are unmanagable just like drinking was. Fortunately, those areas don't yield the same negative consequences as booze. It hit me like a ton of bricks over the weekend. Why not use the same principles that I use with booze in other areas of my life that I want to change. If I needed a power greater than me to quit drinking, then it's possible (even likely) that I will need one in other areas of my life. I am a guy who always wants more. If 1 is good 9 are better...

What I am working on now is everytime I get a craving or desire for unhealthy food I will use it as a reminder to pray to my HP for help. The goal is to reduce my self will, depend more on my HP, which hopefully will better my recovery and take even more focus off of JUST NOT DRINKING....

I'll let you know how it goes. So far, so good. Over the past two days I have wanted to eat crappy food and each time I say "Your will not mine". And wait for it to pass.

Best of luck!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi ACT10Npack. I have to watch my eating and don't usually do a good job with it, but here is my recommendation.

Try to eat three meals a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That way your body has energy during the day when it needs it.

If you put off eating until nighttime, your body is craving food, and this craving results in overeating.

Hopefully that helped, but it is just my opinion and is only worth what you paid for it.

Good luck and congrats on your 1+month sober.