Interventionist?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interventionist?

Has anyone hired a professional interventionist? If so how much was it and did it work out well?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you for the info. Yea I def do not have that kind of money so that cant even be an option. What does the Salvation Army have?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

What does the Salvation Army have?
A 90 day or longer Re Hab program, that is free, for those that are ready for recovery.

It is a really good program too.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-23-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We hired an interventionist 4-1/2 years ago for our son. He went to rehab for 28 days. Total cost approximately $10,000. He was sober for four months.

The most important thing I got out of our intervention/rehab is it opened MY eyes and got ME on the road to recovery. The family sessions at the rehab he went to were excellent. Those sessions were essentially Naranon Meetings (except there were recovering addicts/alcoholics presenting the family programs which helped me greatly to hear their perspective). They provided a lot of education to the families regarding the disease of addiction/alcoholism.

Intervention. For us......it didn't work in getting our son in recovery for the long haul (we've put him through out patient and another in patient since that intervention). Our son is homeless right now and still using. His drug of choice went from alcohol/pot to meth/heroin.

Who knows though. I suppose it works for some and I do feel comfort knowing that my son has the tools he needs if and when he ever decides to use them. But again to stress, the most important thing I got out of the process is what it did for me.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Wow cynical one def. worded it real well, couldn't have said it better myself!
I had a friend a while back who's family hired someone to do an intervention. Very expensive and out of reach for a lot of people. He wasn't ready to quit. Long story short, it backfired and failed b/c HE wasn't ready. Until an addict gets to that point, nothing is going to make them. Even if they do it and it's for someone else...the risk is real high for relapse, cause you have to want it for you. It did however, open up many of his family members eyes to the frightening truth about addiction. A few who enabled him, vowed to stop and succeeded in doing so...some vowed and didn't stop. In the end, sadly my friend passed away not long after. Sorry this is kind of a downer but it's real and honest.
I can only wish you best trying to find a rehab/program as I do not know your story.
Jess
Old 03-23-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In one year's time I hired three interventionists. The last one fired me when I was hell bent on intervention #four.

Back then I was obsessed with beating my daughter's addiction and well on the way to bankrupting myself finanically, physically and emotionally in the process.

At the peak of my codependency, I was unable to grasp that the true purpose of an intervention is to break the cycle of my own behavior.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by QteeKitty View Post
Wow, thank you for the info. Yea I def do not have that kind of money so that cant even be an option. What does the Salvation Army have?
Rahab does not cure addiction. At best, a rehab/treatment program can attempt to teach a highly self motivated addict/alcoholic some tools that can be used to stay in recovery.

At the end of the day, the addict/alcoholic is responsible for their own recovery.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey guys, thank you all so much for all the informative points and info!!

I've been working with my therapist, and learning, and making good progress on breaking my own cycle of being obsessive over my BF's addiction. It's a learning process, and it's one day at a time.

I did not know that about the Salvation Army. When and If he is ready I will keep that in mind. His family spent 30 grand on a "Rehab" last summer because they thought magic was going to happen and he was going to magically be cured by scientologists! It sounds funny but I am not joking, that's really what happend!