Notices

Honeymoon Period?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Honeymoon Period?

I know that some people find the first few days of quitting very hard. I actually do OK the first few days, and then I will have the powerful urge to drink later.

Sometimes after drinking and falling asleep very hard, I get up and feel great. First of all because of sleeping. (As long as I didn't do anything outrageous or **** someone off).

But secondly, I feel a "release". It's like I let the stresses bottled up in me GO. They're gone. But with daily life, they start to build up again. Then I feel I need a release again.

Today I felt great. Visually, everything was more interesting- the clouds, colors, my dog, etc. I felt calm and happy. Even people reacted to me differently. When I went to the store this lady approached me in the parking lot and gave me a pamphlet that said: AWAKE. Then she asked me a lot of questions about my dog. When we had finished talking, I looked around the parking lot to see if she was approaching anyone else. She had disappeared.
So my husband told me the AWAKE pamphlet was about J. Witness, but she didn't mention a word of religion to me. I think it's really something that I received a piece of paper that says AWAKE on it. I'm going cut out that word and put it on my bulletin board.

Then when I was driving, I stopped for some boys that were already j-walking. So they waved and shouted: "Thanks a lot"!!! "Nice dog".

It feels like I've changed and people are reacting to me differently. It felt like a movie.

I am usually cheerful but I also have a bad temper and am a realist (pessimist) with a low tolerance of anything that bothers me. I also experience anxiety and depression at times for no apparent reason.

I have never been more serious about quitting. In the past I really believed I could control my drinking.

I just hope this is not a honeymoon period and will fade away....
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I lived my life as 'clench and release' for many years....

I found it better to learn to deal with stuff...do what you can as it happens, have plans in place for healthy stress release...try to stay balanced between work and play...avoid looking too far ahead...

I'm still a work in progress. I recently had to take time off here because I forgot all this....but if you don't let it build up too much, there's nothing much left to release

D
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, what a great description. I had some very similar experiences—the world literally looked better to me, just like you said.

I just passed 90 days, and the euphoria's faded some, but hasn't faded away. I remind myself every day how scared and empty I felt before, and feel grateful to have this chance.

My sobriety isn't as shiny and new as it was a couple months ago, but it's just as precious to me.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi yoli - very cool post....... I do believe in little "signs" or "validations" that come to us in early sobriety...definitely keep the "Awake" to remind you of your feelings today!

Everyone's different, I know, but I'm still loving sobriety. I think I appreciate it more this time (I've been sober twice before this) because I really scared myself - the obsession this time was awful, and for once I could see how people would drink themselves to death.

This forum helps me stay grateful, too. There's always a post from someone struggling to get through day 1 and it makes me realize every day I'm sober is a good day already.

It great that you're feeling so good - just enjoy it!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm glad you're doing well. Like my sponsor says "This too shall pass". Feelings are just that, feelings. When we live our lives based on how we feel we're in for a lot of ups and downs. Your story reminds me so much of me.

Drinking for a while and it works for me. Drink for a while longer and at some point I'll have a terrible night. Swear off the booze. Hungover for a few days, then BAM I feel great! No more hangovers, no more dumb behavior, life is GREAT!. Then, I wake up one day and don't feel so great. I get a little agitated. I get a little impatient. I start looking at all the people that are drinking and seem happy and say "Why can't I drink". "I haven't drank in x amount of days, I'll just quit again if it becomes a problem". Then I have the first drink, which demands another and another and another and before long I'm drunk again.

I have been sober for 109 days. I have had days (many days) where I couldn't have been happier. The desire to drink is just gone. I also have days when the idea of drinking sounds like something that is almost owed to me.

What I do is try and not focus on either feeling. Instead, get out of myself. Help others. Focus on my action rather than my feelings. When I do this, I win!

Hope this helps you. I wish you the best!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
Welcome. I'm glad you're doing well. Like my sponsor says "This too shall pass". Feelings are just that, feelings. When we live our lives based on how we feel we're in for a lot of ups and downs. Your story reminds me so much of me.

Drinking for a while and it works for me. Drink for a while longer and at some point I'll have a terrible night. Swear off the booze. Hungover for a few days, then BAM I feel great! No more hangovers, no more dumb behavior, life is GREAT!. Then, I wake up one day and don't feel so great. I get a little agitated. I get a little impatient. I start looking at all the people that are drinking and seem happy and say "Why can't I drink". "I haven't drank in x amount of days, I'll just quit again if it becomes a problem". Then I have the first drink, which demands another and another and another and before long I'm drunk again.

I have been sober for 109 days. I have had days (many days) where I couldn't have been happier. The desire to drink is just gone. I also have days when the idea of drinking sounds like something that is almost owed to me.

What I do is try and not focus on either feeling. Instead, get out of myself. Help others. Focus on my action rather than my feelings. When I do this, I win!

Hope this helps you. I wish you the best!!!
Great post, this is really what I have been thinking about a lot this time around -- not getting carried away by how I feel. I don't think I ever learned that lesson in life period, not just with alcohol.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've never gotten past the "honeymoon" period- that's such an interesting way to think about it though, because what comes after a honeymoon? Marriage- hard work, but ultimately much more rewarding and complex. And REAL.
I'm not married, though, so I'm not speaking from actual experience.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by March7 View Post
I've never gotten past the "honeymoon" period- that's such an interesting way to think about it though, because what comes after a honeymoon? Marriage- hard work, but ultimately much more rewarding and complex. And REAL.
I'm not married, though, so I'm not speaking from actual experience.
Let's just hope divorce doesn't come at the end of that list. :rotfxko
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My psychologist called the honeymoon period the "pink cloud." Not to be a downer but it's more something you should be aware of because a lot of people feel GREAT in the early stages of quitting but then find the next phase a bit harder.

Anyway I'm glad you're feeling great. I think the commitment to quitting is crucial and am glad for you that you're determined. Good job!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes people often refer to the "Pink Cloud"...I've been on one for 8+ months
Old 03-22-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have heard of "the pink cloud" also. I am thankful to be aware of this early in recovery, just one less thing to sneak up on me. I guess there is no need to worry though, I will deal with each day as it somes, and try to be thankful for everything I still have.