Notices

Do you have other addictions?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you have other addictions?

I've always done too much of anything I liked.

I will surf the net until morning. One interesting fact leads to another....

Stay out partying til 6 am.

Play a new i-phone game until morning.

Read a novel in one sitting.

Start cutting material for a jacket in the morning and be wearing it at 3 am the next day and be completely exhausted.

I guess that is all part of an addictive personality.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yep The all or nothing is something I understand
Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I often find that I get way too focused on things and I have to pull myself out of it. I don't know if it's generally part of an addictive personality or not, but I know that if I choose to let my mind focus on something that's self destructive I can take it pretty far.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't feel like I get addicted as much as obsessed with one thing or another. I normally lose interest. Except with alcohol
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not into anything harmful for me anymore, but apparently I can still be very obsessive (Mrs Dee nods...)

I'm right back into 20s jazz in a big way at the moment LOL

D
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes plenty of them. Booze was by far my worst. The only vice I don't have is gambling and if I tried hard enough I'm sure I could get it. I am an all or nothing kind of guy. It's something that serves me very well at times and in other areas is very self destructive.

Alcohol was unlike anything I ever did. Completely consumed me. I can work on the other stuff as long as I'm sober. The BB calls it self will run riot. Meaning we are consumed with destructive things (reliigous folks call this sin).

If I can come to believe in a power greater than me and try and be as helpfull and selfless as I can, that is my only defense against my runaway ego. Left on it's own, it will always cause me problems.

Best of luck to you!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to be a chronic pot smoker but kind of outgrew that addiction in my later years. After doing cocaine a handful of times I realized that my personality + cocaine = biiiig problems down the road, so I stopped associating with anyone who did it.

These days my vices are forums (this one and others) and once in a while a good video game. It's kind of nice not to be hooked on anything dangerous.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

eating, shopping, internet
Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep. All or nothing. I don't think I can change that aspect of my personality- but I'm going to try to develop some healthy "addictions"- working out, nutrition, sobriety, volunteering.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Isn't this part of the whole 'alcoholic personality' though? In my AA meetings there is always a wry 'joke' about doing a million things instead of a hundred because we're 'alcoholic'? I am the same btw!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coolmummy View Post
Isn't this part of the whole 'alcoholic personality' though? In my AA meetings there is always a wry 'joke' about doing a million things instead of a hundred because we're 'alcoholic'? I am the same btw!
Interesting- I didn't know that. I guess that's why alcohol is so attractive. It calms us down.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Oh for sure. I've struggled with eating disorders, am a former cutter...everything I do is all or nothing.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Damn, didn't finish my thoughts. I hate being in this fog. Anyways yes lately it's been addicted to cleaning...my obsessions with certain musicians goes real far...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I smoked a pack a day when I drank. I quit that at the same time as drinking. A good part of my work has been on balance and I continue to improve on that daily. I can be a little obsessive about my passions in life but that is a good thing as long as it doesn't hurt me in some way.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

While I've been working hard on some form of moderation...all or nothing still wins on occasion. I recently did the all night book read...worst of all, it was a kinda average book.

I got into ice cream every night for a couple months over the winter (i've never really been a sweet toothy either)...had to go cold turkey...or downgrade wardrobe.

My favorite is golf...haven't broken those sticks out for 2011 yet...once i do, all bets are off.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can't use marijuana or cigarettes without control. They're a waste of time/money anyway, so that's good that they're out of my life.

I have cut out coffee as well. If I start drinking it, I absolutely must have it every single day. I won't even allow myself one cup a day.

Video games are really tough for me as well. If I start one, it absolutely consumes me and I think about it all day, so I've cut those out too.

Sometimes it seems like I don't allow myself ANY vices. Watching 2 or 3 movies week and watching a few TV Shows online are about as far as I go...
Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Still a smoker. I'm slightly paranoid that a failed attempt to quit smoking might also drag me back into alcohol.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can't be halfway about anything. FarmVille, books, cigs, coffee, baking, etc.

Working on that balance thingy.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I tend to over do alot. Especially when it comes to making up for lost time and trying to prove myself in my life without drugs. I have become quite the perfectionist, which can be a bad thing at times. If I dont do perfectly, I feel like a failure. and i can be pretty hard on myself.
but I have to learn to take it easy. Nobody is perfect.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No harmful addictions, other than smoking, but I am obsessed with my dogs...