Notices

suddenly sober today.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool suddenly sober today.

I'm not sure how this website works, but I will learn. I literally stumbled upon this website on Friday, while I had the music blasted in my home, and drinking my life away. I have been drinking for about half of my life, and for years I have been attempting to quit( failed many times) but I have to change and I want to change for myself and children. so, I'm giving this whole sobriety thing another try;today is my first day sober, and I have to tell you everything has been going wrong for me today, but I don't want to pick up the bottle. I've read many of the post, and I have to say I feel hopeful. One day at a time.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi PF - Congratulations on not drinking today. I like the title of your post; I feel like I was suddenly struck sober myself 13 years ago, the day I decided I just couldn't do it any more. A lot of people call this their "moment of clarity."

Have you thought about attending an AA meeting? It could improve your odds. Best, John T.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perfectly, I wasn't identical to your situation, but what stood out to me is when you said "suddenly sober"....I did plot my quitting in a way a little beforehand, bu there was almost a whim to it at the same time (because it wasn't trying to quit for several weeks in a row, for example). I wouldn't know how to explain what made it work for me, but one of the thoughts was that I may not get another chance to do this again; that special cloud may not come along for another ten years or something. So I grabbed on and just didn't go out to get more to drink and it's stayed that way for over a year now. I think I am at 15 or 16 months. Keep going.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi PF, and congrats on your determination to be sober! I have been sober for just 30 days after 35 years of drinking and many white knuckle attempts to quit, but I can assure you that it is well worth the effort. The first few days can be rough, and depending upon how much you've been drinking might require medical help to get through it, but you will definitely feel much, much better soon. Hang in there!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi perfectlyflawed

A lot of us know exactly how you feel - you'll find a lot of support here

Welcome!
D
Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been drinking since I was 14 years old, and has become progressively worse through life. I just want to stop! I hate when I hear certain songs I get the urge to drink, if my home is a mess, and the kids are driving me crazy. I take out " moms lil' helper" The bottle. I have energy to clean, cook, do homework with kids, type my college papers, do laundry and blast my music and sing. this is the hardest part for me. I'm really into 80's music and if I hear a song, nostalgia takes the best of me, and there I go...
Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere. You'll find lots of support and useful information here.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome PerfectlyFlawed. I stumbled across this site in the past when I thought: "OK, this is getting a LITTLE out of control". I have finally admitted I AM OUT OF CONTROL and need help. So I joined yesterday.

When you are up to it, read more postings. There is a TON of valuable information here from people who understand you. Nice and caring people. I have learned more here than doing research about my addiction on Google!

By finally recognizing you have a problem and want to work on it, you will literally be saving your life and your family. And I'm not saying that there won't be any slipping. I feel wobbly myself.

That is a generous and noble thing to do.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would like to attend A.A. I have to look into it...thank you.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm going to let the house stay messy today, watch some tv...and drink some tea. I need to substitute the glass of liquor with a cup of tea.....know if only my brain will believe that.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If 80's music makes you want to drink maybe check out some more recent stuff jk....welcome to SR. I tried to quit a million times but it was finding SR and getting counseling that made the difference for me....I was also just dine.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by perfectlyFlawed View Post
I'm going to let the house stay messy today, watch some tv...and drink some tea. I need to substitute the glass of liquor with a cup of tea.....know if only my brain will believe that.
Good for you. Take it easy on yourself. Let the house go- you are more important. Instead of tea, delicious juice might be more fulfilling.

Also, regarding picking up things from school and other unpleasant experiences, you can chalk them up to your recovery experience. They had to happen before you wanted to change.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome PF!! Just remind yourself... Everyone has good days and bad days, heck, we even have good months and bad months! All alcohol does for you during the bad times is numb you, doesn't do a darn thing to solve the problem or issue that caused your bad day in the first place! Heck, for me, my drinking made my "bad days" a living hell for days after as whatever problem I was having just snowballed because it remained unresolved and undealt with. Drinking was to much of an "easy out", Took years to realize drinking never solved a SINGLE problem in my entire life!
Hang in there! Keep busy, unplanned idle time for an (ex)user is dangerous, at least I know it is for me!

..Mike
Old 03-21-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm glad I found you all.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm 5 months sober thanks to SR and reading sobriety books and saying prayers of gratitude on my knees every morning and every night. To what I don't know, since supposedly I am an atheist. But it works for me.