Notices

Feeling like a Failure

Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling like a Failure

I wrote on here a weeks ago about wanting to quit alcohol. I haven't done well. I continued to drink and I'm feeling horrible today. Just yesterday morning, I said that was it. I'm going to stop drinking today. I was doing well but later in the evening, I started getting a little anxious and nervous. I held off for a little while but ended up going downstairs and getting a drink from my parents' liquor cabinet. Then I had another. I feel horrible this morning. I failed and I'm scared of what I'm going to do. I must quit. This alcohol is killing me. What do I do?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and sorry you aren't feeling well. I tried to quit for years before I managed...its really hard and I think support is really important...its only once I joined SR and got counseling that I was able to get well.

So I would recommend spending some time here reading threads and consider getting face to face help either with AA, SMART or addiction therapy ...there are other ways as well.

Coming here and admitting you have a problem is a great first step.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Know that you can do this.

It's not going to be easy and you will most likely feel anxious and nervous. Be prepared for those feelings and figure out a healthy way to get through it. Take a long bath, go for a walk, listen to music, whatever it takes to get through it.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

action is key. Get help and do something about it, the only way you can fail is to repeat the same things and not take action. You aren't a failure to me, atleast you logged on and admitted the way you are failure. My mistake was coming on the board looking for relief for the way I was feeling, once that relief was met I didn't keep seeking out ways to get better. I eventually found my way into treatment programs.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel like this also, I drank yesterday but not today....and the thought is pressing me to get that bottle.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ForLove

You're not alone - hundreds of times I swore off alcohol as I went to bed and was drinking again by lunchtime.

I wasn't a failure - and neither are you - we just have a problem.
That's why relying on myself alone to stop didn't work too well.

I think support is vital.
Coming here is great and I know you'll find support here

I also encourage you to think about face to face support too - like La Femme said....AA, SMART, therapy....get some reinforcements in and really make some changes

Welcome aboard )

D
Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Forlove - We've all been right where you're at, when it seems impossible to not pick up that drink. That's what told me I was an alcoholic - my own willpower (which is usually pretty good) just wasn't enough to beat this thing.

Alcohol made me depressed and anxious, which in turn made me keep reaching for a drink. When I found this place and got honest and reached out to others, I was finally able to gather enough strength to not pick up, one day at a time.

There's lots of great support and hope here. If we can do it, you can too......!:ghug3
Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm right there with ya, forlove hug. Everyday I say this is it, I'm a chronic relapser. I do best when I take it one day at a time, or like they say even one minute at a time, and eventually it does get better. You just have to soldier through those first few horrible weeks, and even after that the struggle continues, but it is worth it in the long run. Keep coming on here and maybe even think about a rehab facility. Good luck to you
Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would try and go to an AA meeting tomorrow. Just give it a try. I remember when I felt hopeless and doomed for a miserable life. I did not think that simply going to AA would change that. The truth is that it did. If it worked for me, it can work for you.

I wish you the best!