Notices

Today is the day- I'm doing it.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the day- I'm doing it.

I called the AA helpline and talked to someone about going to a meeting tonight. I have one picked out at 7 pm- it's a women only meeting which I think will help me feel more comfortable. I know that's not much yet, but for me reaching out and asking for help has perhaps been the most difficult part in actually getting started on the road to success. I have resisted the idea of AA since I tried going last year and have been off and on trying to get sober on my own. This weekend's activities have finally, finally given me the motivation to reach out and be open minded about AA. We will see how it goes!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not much?...yes, it is. It is HUGE. That is awesome.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do it March! I also resisted AA meetings but just started attending a woman's only meeting. I was surprised at how non-threatening it was and how great it makes me feel. Finally, people just like me who I can be totally honest with.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a great idea, March7. Try to approach it with an open mind looking for helpful ideas. And if you don't like it, try some different meetings. AA meetings are composed of people, and like people everywhere, we like some and not others.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful about the women only meeting....I am going to see if there is such a thing where I live. I would feel much more willing to open up...good for you March 7...hang in there!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're taking action.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantastic March! I wish you all the best. I hope AA works for you, but if it doesn't, don't give up - there are lots of other very good programs out there that do not rely on the 12 steps. Keep us posted.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Awesome!! That is HUGE! Action is KEY and the only way it'll work. Good for you and let us know how it goes! A womens group sounds like a fantastic idea
Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a great step you're taking! Congratulations, and I hope it's the start of a new, sober, life for you.

Best wishes for the meeting!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are being pro active....
Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love my women's only meeting! I go to other's also and like speaker meetings too. It's just a matter of finding the ones that you like cause they are out there. If you don't feel like talking then don't....just sit and listen. What I like the most is....no one is judgmental in my women's meeting. People from all walks of life just looking to make their lives better and make themselves a better person.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok, so I went to the meeting- i got there early and forced myself to talk to the leader, I told her it was my first time, and she got me set up with a temporary sponsor after the meeting was over. All of the women were really nice- it was definitely overwhelming and I am truly mentally exhausted, but I'm overall glad I went. My temporary sponsor gave me the book to read and told me to make sure I get to a meeting sometime tomorrow, and to call her. So I have assignments, which I actually kind of like. Oh, and she told me not to drink tonight. That made me laugh. I am not really a crier, but several times during the meeting I started crying. There is so much more to sobriety than just not drinking. I am anxious now to learn and succeed.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck to you and congratulations on making that first step
Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by march7 View Post
......so i went to the meeting!!

So i have assignments, which i actually kind of like.

There is so much more to sobriety than just not drinking.
: D
Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

March7, good for you for going to a meeting. Yes, it can be emotional, I think that's because there are people there just like you, and they promise you that there is a solution. It can be such a sense of relief!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by March7 View Post

Oh, and she told me not to drink tonight. That made me laugh.
I know, huh? The first sober alcoholic I reached out to for help told me to go to meetings and not drink between meetings. I guess you can't afford to be vague with a newcomer: "Oh wait, you mean I'm NOT supposed to drink?!" It was good advice though!

So happy for you that you made a meeting AND got a temp sponsor.

Keep coming back!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm thrilled for you....
Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hightara- I love your Freud quote, it cracks me up (I'm half Irish)

I read a few chapters of the AA book last night and woke up early feeling pretty good today. I have a busy day but will probably be checking in here a lot. I need to keep up my focus because it's always a few days after I feel better from the hangover that I get apathetic and lazy about sticking with my plan of sobriety.

One thing that stands out for me in the meeting last night was a woman who said that in her early days, she was attending 3-4 meetings a dsy, because she had to live her regular life while becoming sober. She, like me, had never been to a rehab or hospital for addiction. She said she saw rehab as a luxury, a month off being able to focus solely on sobriety and your own personal journey. I expected that to make some people angry (rehab a luxury???) but it didn't. I think I understand what she was saying, that this is a big commitment that takes a big effort and focus. I know it consumes most of my thoughts right now. Work right now is both a welcome distraction from my own brain, but also somewhat of a dangerous way for me to feel "normal" and lose sight of what is actually my number one priority at the moment. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the challenge of achieving sobriety while going about regular life with no "reset" time from rehab?
Also, I am in no way trying to say that people who go to rehab have it easier, or harder, or any sort of judgement whatsoever. It's just a different experience from mine.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I love my womens group. We were laughing last wek that we would probably scare any man who dared to try to join away with our sleazy stories!