Notices

AA snubbing SR?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA snubbing SR?

In every instance I have mentioned the support I've gotten here at SR to someone from AA I've always gotten a snub.

???

Not just from the old old old timers who aren't internet savvy either. A couple people have even acknowledged they were aware of SR, but still there was an air of.... I dunno if disapproval is the right word, but that's what it felt like.

wtf? Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not. I've even turned some people on to it in AA.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

I have told a lot of people in AA about SR. I pitch is as a great way to do 12th step work when traveling, late at night, with people from other countries and cultures. I also tell people that it is a great way to get a "15 minute recovery experience" when I can't get to a meeting because of my schedule.

I think people are generally distrustful of on-line forums either due to predators or privacy concerns. So, if someone gives me a hard time, I just gently remind them about "contempt prior to investigation" and they usually come around.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Whatever program keeps you clean/sober is the program to stick with. Someone is always going to buck other methods. Just take it in stride, and know for yourself, SR is a good place for you to come.

I love SR and is always glad to lend my struggles and my recovery story to someone else if it helps them to find their way off drugs and alcohol.

TOD
Old 03-19-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've mentioned this site at rehab and the counselors were thrilled that I had 'more' support. I would think any positive support that you can get however you can get would be beneficial.
Next time I go to AA I'm gonna mention it and see how many ppl are aware of it.

Shame some folks are closed minded.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had mixed reactions mentioning SR at AA meetings. One old timer snapped at me that "the internet is not a substitute for AA". I snapped back saying I used SR to supplement my AA recovery, not to substitute for it. Other people use religion to supplement their recovery in AA.

Other people have been much more open to it.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Very limited experience but when I mentioned it it was met with a "hm" type of response by both my counselor and a few people when I tried meetings/ talked to people there. My guess is it has more to do with people's feeling about the Internet than sr per se. And some people are more drawn to communicating via written word than others.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

The older generation and I guess the younger one's! Probably see f2f meetings more helpful than setting down at a computer being of much help. I have more time on the computer than I do going to meetings.

Just my thoughts on this subject.

TOD
Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not in AA but when I told my psychologist that I was coming here during work hours he told me that was fine with him.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

my groups were happy about it. One guy was really interested and Im sure has checked it out by now.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

aurora

i have my own recovery website,

and at apropo times i may mention it,

i do get "the look"

a few times i have quoted the book of directions (Alcohlics Anonymous)

and hit the bleeding deacons up with this line.

""In any meeting, anywhere, A.A.’s share experience, strength, and hope with each other,

in order to stay sober and help other alcoholics.

Modem-to-modem or face-to-face,

A.A.’s speak the language of the heart in all its power and simplicity."

and for back up,

contempt, prior to investigation
Old 03-20-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think there are a lot of folks in AA who feel a bit "threatened" by anything that isn't "pure" AA: psychotherapy, appropriately-prescribed medications, attendance at "other" recovery programs, internet forums.

*shrug*

AA itself takes no position on outside issues, so it isn't AA itself that is the problem, it's individuals who mean well but are often spouting knee-jerk negativity toward anything not "conference approved". I've learned by now that there is no point in discussing certain things with certain people, and if I do so, I expect them to be negative.

Ultimately, my recovery is MY responsibility, so I internally agree to disagree. It isn't my job to convince them of the value of anything else I do for my recovery, any more than it is theirs to police mine.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me this site has been an added tool
in my own recovery and im excited and
grateful for it. It helps me give my knowledge
of recovery away and im still sober another
day.

Ive also tried to share the experience of this
site with others and what they do with it is
their own business. However I do wish I had
other AA buddies from my own home town
to join me here.

I guess Ive learned that I can't work anyone
elses program or change them to do my will
or wish. So I take care of me and continue on
my path of recovery and welcome anyone who
wishes to join me on my travels.

I enjoy being sober and love my sober life.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My wonderful addiction counselor knows about SR and thinks it's great. Especially for me, being a bit of a hermit.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't remember how I got here to SR, but I liked what I saw instantly.
To be honest, I thought it was AA exclusive, I was wrong.
Being a member of another popular forum, ( work related ) the similarities as in size of membership, SR from my experience rates as, "lots and lots of activity"
It has a "buzz" about it. I would certainly recommend it to my AA friends if a conversation goes down the path of internet forums when not at meetings, but would not promote it. That is a HP thing, obviously.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

SR is here 24/7/365.....no matter what else is going on, i very rarely miss a day here.

I do not have enough hours in the day with my work, mother's illnness, and other responsibilites.

SR is here when I have time and it is not stressful...no running or feeling guilty that i am neglecting the home and pets.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Being new to recovery, I have to find what works for me to keep me sober. That may be AA, church, sports, SR, or all of the above. Everyone has different ways to stay sober, and I see this as another tool that obviously helps a lot of people tremendously. I don't know how I found this site, but when I was at the end of my road, unable to leave my bed, this site is what helped me get sober enough to drive to my first AA meeting. I am not sure yet if AA is the answer for me, but I know that coming to this site is the most powerful tool I have right now. And so far, it has helped keep me sober the last 21 days!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have met, face to face, at least 2 or 3 members of SR at AA...

My experience is that AA is a more deeply spiritual experience when attended live and in person. I am fortunate to have many excellent groups nearby. If I were to express any reservations to another regarding SR... hmm, if a person is interested in AA recovery, SR is gonna help, maybe a lot, but won't it substitute.

I don't mention SR very often at f2f AA.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me SR is the only tool as of now Nd it is helping me
Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

sr has been a marvelous tool in my recovery and ive mentioned it to alot of friends in AA.the way they see it is...if it works for me then great.ive never had any negative reactions.if i did thats their "stuff"!
i too as mark mentioned have met folk from sr.i live in scotland and have been to the states a couple of times and hooked up with friends from here.how magical to be able to say ive done that! without sr that would never have happened.
i googled recovery i think about 4 days dry and found sr by "accident"....lol.