Notices

Obsesed

Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Obsesed

Am obsessed i cant get drinking out of my mind at the moment.
I talked to my husband about it tonight that my every thought is about drinking .
He is supportive and understanding telling me i dont need the drink i may want it but i dont need it.
my head feels its about to explode with it all
I have obsessive thoughts a lot over things and seem to focus on them for weeks on end.
I had a CPN who use to try and get me to deal with my thoughts but i dont longer see him anymore as we were going through the same things every week
I got to AA and it seems to be helping but tonight i felt like walking out because i felt uncomfortable there , i dont know why

the obsession is so bad that i cant sleep
I dont have a sponsor and only just started going to AA
Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well coming here is a step in the right direction. Someone here on SR said they timed their cravings and they usually last approximately 7 minutes. Not sure if you are craving alcohol when you say obsessing, but if that is what you mean then try to get busy doing anything.....exercise, video games, cooking something, etc. Ride it out and then do an emotional flex and pat yourself on the back that you barreled through it successfully. Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On my way....

I don't know what advice to give you because I'm only just starting this journey myself, but I will tell you that all day at work I had it in my mind that I was coming home and drinking some beer and finally relaxing from this madness called my mind.....but I didn't, I'm here at home, on SR, posting and taking it a minute at a time.....that seems to be what you're doing too....so good on you! I think it's a testimony to your strength that you're here and not out doing what the addict wants to do...so you're winning right now...even if it's just barely. We can do this!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think that's really normal at first...... it was for me. I thought about it constantly for a while before the obsession began to fade. After 4-6 months, it was hardly there at all. That's really not an enormous amount of time when you think about how long a lot of us have been drinking.

It really helped me to read tons of posts on SR - it helped me to see that only misery was waiting for me if I gave in, and it gave me hope that things would get better (which they did!).

I remember Anna telling me once that just because we have a feeling or thought, we don't have to act on it. That stuck with me, too. Hang in there.....
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

XWillowX
I got to AA and it seems to be helping but tonight i felt like walking out because i felt uncomfortable there , i dont know why
I have felt the same way many times. I once lost my drivers license and ended up on a bike for about 20 miles a day. I didn't drink very much that summer; the urge just wasn't there as much, and when I did drink in the evenings it didn't take much to get me to where I was ready for sleep. I think the daily exercion changed my brain chemistry to a state where I did not need to medicate myself to feel OK.

You have to feel OK you know. When you don't feel OK your not much use to anybody, including yourself.

I have my license back now, I live on a big hill, and I've been drinking way too much all winter. maybe I should trade my car for a nice bike, move off this hill and ride every day. Biking my way to sobriety

If you have a bike, try going for a long ride. Your ass will hurt the first few times.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hang in there...follow the suggestions you got above, and will get later. You can do this.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

XWillowX
Hang in there It will pass my cravings stoped after two weeks
Put your mind on something else go for a walk with your husband
Good luck It will get better
Old 03-18-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Posting on SR is a positive step...it will get easier!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi XWillowX

Yeah I spent a lot of time here on SR the first month or so...anything but give in to that obsession.

Sometimes it was hard, time crawling, minute by minute but I knew I was doing the right thing not giving in and it did get better.

I encourage you to get some phone numbers of people at your next meeting too - and keep looking for a sponsor...those are two other great ways to get support to have there when you really need it

You may already be familiar with this if you'll seen a CPN, but I've found this link useful too:

Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

I absolutely agree with the idea that just because we feel it we don;t have to act on it

D
Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

Keep going to ure meetings until AA gets you. years of drinking cant be dealt wiht over night. Just know you are doing the right things ...............ask for help at your meetings, find out how the others there got through it & you will find some u can identify with others you cant, just take what will help you. Stick around kid because this works ....a min, an hour , a day at a time! Just dont pick up the first drink !
Old 03-19-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Thanks everyone
Things got worse this after noon woke up and the obsession was worse so i called someone from AA and talked to them for a little while and then went to a meeting witch helped