Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It's amazing how my life has changed as my attitude has changed...

Notices

It's amazing how my life has changed as my attitude has changed...

Old 03-17-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile It's amazing how my life has changed as my attitude has changed...

Was noticing today how much better I respond to stress these days. Instead of going into panic (drinking) mode I come at it logically and don't let it throw me too much.

My attitude now is one of gratitude. And I believe it's the biggest reason behind my staying sober. I am grateful for so much in my life that the thought of messing it all up with drinking doesn't enter my head.

For those still feeling miserable, pop on over to the Gratitude forum and count your blessings. I had to force myself initially but found that the more I counted my blessings, the more blessings I had to count. Give gratitude a chance. What have you got to lose but your misery?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, you're absolutely right, Least, it's a whole shift in perspective.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome! So true....
Old 03-17-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are so right and such an inspiration!

I think it is when we feel we have the least to be grateful for that we should practice gratitude the most
Old 03-17-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes, absolutely...."the attitude of Gratitude" helps me tremendously. I have SO MUCH to be thankful for.

i agree, stress does not magically disappear when you stop drinking, but the way you deal with it changes dramatically...no more wild panic, anger at the little stuff, mood swings from feeling depressed.

i used to get all of my exercise jumping to conclusions...automatically assuming the WORST...now it is so much easier to be logical and practical...i address my problems one at a time and work toward solving them instead of shoving them to the back of the pile.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome post, Least! This rings soooooo true...
Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I woke up in a funk today. No particular reason—just a bunch of little things that were stressing me out, and I settled into a nice fun stretch of self pity. Big surprise, I started thinking about a drink.

Suddenly around mid-day I remembered I have control over my attitude. None of the challenges I face are unusual. Actually things are pretty darn good—especially when I consider how things were when I was drinking. I felt grateful and, in less time than it took me to write this, it turned into a great day!

Gratitude is the most potent mood-altering substance of all...
Old 03-17-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Very, very true.......... After trying gratitude in my sobriety, I realized how much I took for granted. Thanks for the post!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, on a daily basis I realize how stress is such a different animal now. I thought alcohol was supposed to relieve the stress...how is it that it made things worse?