Notices

court ordered aa

Old 03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ccm

court ordered aa

im not alcoholic.

i got a dui because of my own irresponsible decision making, and have been labeled an alcoholic by a drug and alcohol counselor.

i am required to go to 2 aa meetings a week for 2 years......i have went to 56of them.

i respect everyone who has found sobriety in the aa program. i can understand why members dont like court ordered aa. it can really screw up the environment in these meetings for people who actually use them for help.

i was wondering if friends i met in aa could sign my attendance sheets, instead of only the chairperson. and would my probation officer call my friends to verify my attendance? they have never heard of probation verifying.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it would be a big mistake to not follow the court mandate to the letter.

Have you been sober since your dui, and if so, it could be that AA is helping you?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ccm

its not because aa im sober.

i rarely drank before my dui, and havent messed with it since.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are living a sober life.

If it was me, I would do exactly what I was told to do. I would feel like I broke the law, and it was up to me to try to fix things by doing what I had to do. I would have huge anxiety issues if I was cheating on the meetings.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ccm

my question is, do they even verify attendance? and can they?

i mean, i see different people signing these sheets every meeting.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're looking for someone here to tell you it's okay to not obey your court order.

I sincerely doubt that anyone here will do that.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Personally, I am very grateful I was court ordered to attend AA. I probably wouldn't have otherwise. That being said, I am an alcoholic.

I doubt a probation officer could or would verify the signatures on the sheet. I can hardly make out most of the ones on mine. I would be way too scared to be dishonest about the attendance though.

I think court ordered AA opens the eyes of a lot of people who would otherwise not consider themselves alcoholic.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ccm

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It sounds like you're looking for someone here to tell you it's okay to not obey your court order.

I sincerely doubt that anyone here will do that.
ive been obeying it, and am a very busy person.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You broke a law and these are the consequences of your bad decisions. You should continue to attend the meetings, as ordered. Maybe they check and maybe they don't. If they do, and you are found to have lied, you could be ordered to jail, regardless of how busy you are. It's only 2 hours out of your week. I'm sure you can deal with it.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ccm

aa as a consequence, that makes sense.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

That is irrelevant. You were caught driving while intoxicated. This is your consequence.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ccm

bill w. would be proud his program is filled with people who dont want to be there.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

As long as one person wants to be there, I think he would be proud.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think it is cool that AA has been embraced by the judicial system and the medical community.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Leaving the benefits of sobriety aspect aside...

I don't know what the probation system is like where you live and where you go to meetings, but both are pretty small circles where I live. While AA's principles protect your anonymity from the general public, my understanding is that does not protect meeting chairs from having to testify in/to the court. I understand that life is busy, but you have been asked to give two hours a week. It would be foolish to compound the consequences of your original "irresponsible decision making" by trying to save a couple of hours.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hated to beg for signatures, know what you mean about that. I found meetings where I could show up at the end and hang out with the boys outside until it was over, talking about our crazy weekends and then all file in to beg for a signature.

Eventually I was running meetings and signing my own, but that was down the road after I got involved.

It's better in my opinion if the courts stop sending the unwilling to AA. We've never had a shortage of newcomers and they waste everyone's time.

I often suggest to people who plainly don't want to suffer through meetings that they should have their bartender or their mama sign their card, as no one ever checks on the sigs. How could they possibly ring up 'Bob B.' or 'Steve P.'?

Wish I had been sharp enough to figure that out.

When I was ready to do AA after a few more DUIs and assorted typical drunk troubles, I was back in the meetings for something other than a crummy signature.

When you eventually need something more, remember where you can find it. And try to stay away in the meantime.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ccm

ya, i live in a city of 300,000
Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ccm

thank you for the response cabledude
Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

If you did not have the cajones to fulfill your probation, why did you take that option? If it is a real problem, I am sure the court can make other arrangements.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't agree with the court ordered thing, either. I'll sign a slip if I'm chairing, but only then and only after the meeting. While I don't think anyone should be forced to attend AA, I won't lie for them either.

And when I do sign, I only use my first name and last initial, and never a phone number.