Notices

Many of us are slow learners

Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Many of us are slow learners

That is why I am taking my time with the steps and going to meetings and really listening to the message again and again. That we cannot control our drinking no matter what. That is the black and white reality of the issue. I had a moment of madness on saturday which thankfully I didnt react to. The lack of control in my thinking was quite incredible.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree, and the addict-voice will jump in when we are not expecting it.

I think that when I decided drinking was no longer an option, my mind started working to find different ways of dealing with things. But, I had to fully embrace my addiction in order to do that.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No one said you had to accomplish it in 12 days. Everyone is different and on a different journey. So, yours takes longer, so what? If you need more time to understand then so be it. I am not rushing...I read, I think, I read some more....just hope one day the whole universe will click for me.
Good Luck.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, I agree, and the addict-voice will jump in when we are not expecting it.

I think that when I decided drinking was no longer an option, my mind started working to find different ways of dealing with things. But, I had to fully embrace my addiction in order to do that.
\

ITA w/this. I really feel like I am rewiring my brain. It's actually pretty incredible. Glad you resisted on Saturday!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
The lack of control in my thinking was quite incredible.
Hi Eddie-

I completly understand

I needed, than later wanted, someone(s) else to do my thinking for me b/c if my biggest problem was "me", than why in the world would I be able to think my way out of my own alcoholism?

Keep. Moving. Forward in the steps and you'll have healthy, productive thoughts with more frequency.

Kjell~
Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Many of us are slow learners yep. SSIL75 you feel like you are rewiring your brain yup me2. Im just realising that a part of me thinks its highly likely that i will fail [in my recovery or my efforts] so thats a real pain in MY ass

rock on peeps keep posting keep recovering you have done well to get to aa eddie i know this tough person that says 'its a hard life if you weaken' and i guess she means if you buckle to addictions mad feelings etc it only makes life harder in the long run.

rock on ed going to aa is a major step if you can stay sober and keep going that will be good for you i suspect
Old 03-14-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi eddie. You can read this thread on the 'addict voice'.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-fiction.html
Old 03-14-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

when it comes to recovery, I'm glad I realised that the journey is as important as the destination,

I learned a heck of a lot in just 'getting there' - and I'm glad I didn't rush that.

Good work Eddie

D