Notices

New here - intro

Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here - intro

Hi All,

I am a new (active) member here. I have been reading on the site for quite some time.

I really feel that the time has come for me to seek support.

A brief history of my drinking is as follows. During the ten years prior to about 2 and a half years ago I had been steadily increasing my alcohol intake. Everyday consumption from the beginning, but gradually increasing over time to about a half a bottle (35 ml) of gin (or other hard liquor) a day, which was the secret drinking, plus the public drinking of about a half a bottle of wine and a few (strong) beers. About two and a half years ago I really freaked out about the potential health consequences of that level of intake, and I stopped “cold turkey” for nearly four months.

After that extended period of sobriety, I started drinking again (who knows why). Initially, I was pretty good (restricting my drinking to weekends and reasonable quantities). Slowly (I’m sure this is no surprise to anyone reading this post) the consumption started to increase, becoming (at least) every other weekend binges. But, still, up until now, I’ve kept it to weekends (some, but not all, are 48 hour plus binges).

I have finally come to the conclusion that sobriety is the only (sane) answer. Actually, I have come to that conclusion many times, usually on a Monday after a binge weekend, like the one that has just ended. I guess, like many here, I was (am) a functional alcoholic. I won’t say “highly” functional, as I know that many aspects of my life could be a lot better without the booze.

I want to get the support (which I believe is the missing link in terms of achieving lasting sobriety) through AA and / or counseling and / or this site. I know that support will not automatically give me sobriety, but I think it’s a crucial piece of the solution. Counseling should also be helpful in working on other aspects of my life.

I sill freak out about “forever” and stress about no booze at social events work engagements, etc. I know, “one day at a time.”

Thanks for reading.

Mad
Old 03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Madman!

Sobriety is the single best thing I have ever done in my life (so far).
Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mad, Sounds like a struggle forever, doesn't it? I think that the small battles we face sober are worth the sanity we gain. Normal people don't have to worry about 'temptation' of alcohol at a function. It is not a battle to them -to us its near death to see everyone drinking, liquor bottles in plain sight that can't be consumed and always that one thought racing through our heads of 'just one drink'.
Well, let's face it, anytime we've stayed sober we have to admit we've felt better and more productive...I'm 45 days in and feel great. Halfway thru rehab and will continue with AA when I'm done...Until you get to a group post here and read what you can...I'm here like 24/7 lately. LOL Good Luck Mad.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Madman!! Sounds like you have your plan of action. In the beginning..I struggled with the NDF issue (Not Drinking Forever) and as many have done..I told myself after just 6 weeks of sobriety that I could have a few at a birthday event. Of course the few turned into a rip roaring drunken night that I regretted and spat on myself over for awhile. I guess that was what made me finally realize that I will never be a controlled drinker. It is a huge mind game. I knew better..I drank for a good thirty years and never messed around..I was drinking to get drunk. So I reset my date. I accepted that drinking is no longer an option. I hung in like a trooper and it finally kicked my butt..anyway..glad you found us. Hope you post often! Lots of support as well as information.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Madman
sounds like you have a good plan

I know you'll find support here - welcome!

D
Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you decided to post - I think you're right about support making a huge difference.

Just take it one day at a time. There's is no such thing as "forever" really - all we have is today. I find that each day I stay sober, I'm preparing for another good "today" when tomorrow gets here.

Good for you for getting back on track!!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

Glad you decided to head into a better future
Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, MM. That sounds like a great approach!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I joined today too and it is helping me to read your posting.
I haven't figured out how to post yet or talk to anyone other than here so I write to myself in my blog area. That's helping too. Getting it all out.
Good luck! I will pray for you as I go through this journey.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! FYI...Social events scare the hell out of me too, I've never known a life where socializing meant not drinking.

I believe you'll find the kind words of encouragement and advice very helpful here. Good luck
Old 03-14-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Thanks for the encouragement and understanding. It's very helpful to know that you can relate. Of course I know that most everyone on this sate can relate, but getting direct feedback is really meaningful.

I'm glad to hear that my plan is sound. Now it's time to execute. Posting here was a big first step. As Sara said, "getting it all out." Next step is making it to my first AA meeting (before Friday), i.e. before the trigger of Friday night.

I'll deal with the "social event" anxiety when the situation arises (but plan for it ahead of time).

Mad
Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Madman,

Welcome!

I'm glad you've decided to live a sober life.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Really glad you're all here . Please join the Mighty March 2011 thread too for love & support from the also very newly sober. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Peace to all