Notices

my story, seeking advice

Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my story, seeking advice

I am really just looking for feed back, and advice. I am 26, and have had a bit of a rockstar life style since I was about 15. It started with pot, then alcohol. When I first started drinking I drank almost everyday, and consumed enough to make me throw up. I drank till the point of sickness every day for months. Finally my tollerance had risen, and I learned to moderate. Before long, I began regular use of mushrooms, cocaine, alcohol, ciggarettes occasional crack, opium. My abuse became a challenge to see how many substances I could use at once. In my peak of abuse, I had drank a entire 5th of vodka in one night, on more than five occasions. The cocaine made that happen. After those five instances, I knew I had to change...most people would have died. Fortunatly I tend to hit a point where I know I need to stop and I can. I consider myself lucky for that. I never felt addicted, just used because I enjoyed what I was doing... After having a few heart attack scares I stoped cocaine use.... I guess I grew out of pot, mushrooms. I am surrounded by constant drinking. I lived with my sister for many years, Her husband drinks everyday still. Being in that environment, I drank everyday and felt like there was nothing wrong with it since age 19.... I just turned 26, and as of 1/1/2011 I finally convinced myself I need to cut out drinking too. In the past few years, I had experienced chest discomfort or what felt like a irregular heart beat after heavy drinking. over the past year, I had felt abdominal pressure. The pressure would come and go. Finally I realized the pressures comes after heavy drinking. Since the the beginning of 2011 I have cut out drinking to maybe once a week. I feel significantly better and stable. However, when I drink I get the the abdominal discomfort. I drank 8 beers last night, and have felt like I could throw up most of the day... This doesnt usually happen. I have convinced myself I need to stop drinking all together. I know My body cannot continue to handle this abuse. I have not told may people about my feelings of health problems.. I told my brother in law and he still drinks everyday, but no longer pressures me to drink with him. I had always felt like I was invincable, and I would go forever, but im kind of freaked out at this point becuase I know this can kill me. All my close family in life and proxcimity are all heavy drinkers, and I really dont have any friends where I live. I feel myself distancing myself from them to help stay sober. I find myself frustrated when around them. Its crazy that all the people we surround ourselves with are there for you..until something comes up. When I told a few people about my feelings of health/liver problems there was silence. No one really said anything. lol I felt like their silence was the equivalant to " sorry to hear that, not our problem" I have strong enough will to not drink on my own. I just fear that too much damage may be done. I do not have insurance so I have not gone to the doctor, I am basically on my own. All input is considered helpful, and supportive. Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Take all that money you were spending on the booze and go to the doctor. We can't give medical advice here, and a doctor can let you know if any damage has been done. Congratulations on quitting drinking.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you want to get sober - alcohol does a lot of damage to our brains/bodies. It's really no way to live (or die)....... Hopefully you can use this as motivation. It sounds like your body is telling you that you need to stop completely.

It would definitely be wise to see a doctor and be honest about your drinking history. If there's a problem, you don't want to ignore it.

I hope you can quit drinking as easily as you think you can. There's always AA and other resources (like this forum) if you need extra support. Most of us do.......
Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again ..
I replied to your other post in Alcoholism
I removed it in order to lessen confusion

Anyway....Welcome...:wvey:

It's always wise to check with your doctor expecially since you
are habing discomfort.
Please do so and be completely honest so he/she can run a
proper blood panel screening test.Ask for advice
on how to best de tox.

When I had no insurance I went to a community free clinic.
Check about those...and if you are in the US look for counthy health services.

Hope u find your way into a healthier sober future.....

Last edited by CarolD; 03-12-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR! Our bodies are remarkably resilient and you are young...there is a good chance you are fine but see a doctor as soon as you can find a way...I. know what its like to be without insurance...some doctors will cut you a break...ask around

Sobriety is awesome but no one in my family gets it either.

Sr is a great place for advice and support
Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"When I told a few people about my feelings of health/liver problems there was silence. No one really said anything. lol I felt like their silence was the equivalant to " sorry to hear that, not our problem"

Yeah I understand this. I had to tell a few alky friends that I was done drinking..just can't handle the hangover/withdrawals..They just looked at me with a blank look (come to think of it they were most likely already fine tuned-I stopped in after work) and I got the equvalant of "sorry about your luck"...

Happy to hear that you joined us...drugs and alcohol are slow killers by themselves..but when you mix them up we are talkin LETHAL. I would drink all night and top it off with a sleeping pill. I shudder to think of all the time I put into slowly putting myself out of my misery! I finally just knew I could no longer drink. I am so grateful for sobriety. It takes a few weeks before the clarity starts but it is like being awake for the 1st time in a long time. I have 30 yrs of drinking...it is great that you are addressing this issue at your age. You can dodge the bullet of legal or health issues that pile up. Welcome!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome JG.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

JG85,

I talked to you some in Chat today, and after reading your story, it sounds alot like mine. I am much older now, and I had chest pains but they went away when I stopped smoking (everything) and discontinued the powder type stuff.
Your body will come back to normal most likely but you have to stop now.

When you get older, it will not be as cool as it is now, you'll just be a old drunk or addict if you live long enough due to the cocktail you have been consuming.

You mentioned you don't have many friends where you are, but all of us here are supportive and have been through what you are now experiencing... you will find friends in here, maybe never see them, but they are here just the same.

I feel like reality is often distorted by drugs, and drugs creates an altered state of reality, yet drugs takes it toll on your body, first in the form of addiction, then your organs take a beating. I have frequent anxiety attacks, a result of my years of substance abuse, and fear I may have damaged my mind to some degree. But, the good news is you are thinkin about your current situation, and you will convince yourself to stop at some point.

Friends are hard to keep when you are a heavy user, however, you will always have plenty of users around you cause you have the junk, but they are not your friends really, they are keeping you down, or you are keeping them down. Drugs are thinker than blood, my brotha... Lose the drugs, they will disappear on ya. So stay strong, stay with us!

Thinkn
Old 03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here jg.

I used to think I was invincible too - if we're lucky, we reach an age where we know we're not.

Nothing's more important than your health - however you can swing it, please do see a Dr and get checked out...be honest and ask for help, and you'll get it

D
Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone so far! Its good to say whats im dealing with and not be looked at like a lab rat! I am drug free and have been for years except drinking. I need to cut it out if I will live to see 30. I look forward to future support. Its funny the so called friends are always around for a drink, but when it all goes down you are left by yourself. Thanks agian everyone!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im not a train wreck either. I work hard and no one really knows I have a problem. lol Just throwing it out there.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Yes, go to a doctor, but with one warning. If you get a clean bill of health, don't use it as an excuse to go back drinking. Many have until they do get "the bad news".

A Russian saying, I'm sure not unique to Russia; "Don't call him a friend, until you climb a mountain together.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Most of us believed we could control it on our own, and required a thorough beating to understand we were licked.

Willpower is seductive-- it's part of the disease. We can do this. Until we can't.

Every time I thought I was at my bottom, I found another.

My advice: Go to an emergency room and get yourself checked out. Then go to an AA meeting and say you need help.