Notices

wine

Old 03-11-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
orangutan

wine

I see a lot of people posting about drinking wine. I have been a heavy drinker since my teens and never considered myself an alcaholic untill I got hooked on red wine I was a beer drinker for ever and then started having wine with dinner and once I got the taste I didn't want anything else , I mean a cold beer on a hot day was nice but I would want to change to wine after one beer. Does anyone else think their problem got worse on wine?
Also I think as my addiction got worse it also seemed to take less to drink to get a glow anyone else notice this ?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry but not really. My problem started with beer and hard alcohol in college. I didn't develop much of a taste for wine until my mid-20's and by then I was already drinking everything and anything.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Every alcoholic I know has his/her favorite "poison". I couldn't care less about wine (I enjoyed it with dinner occasionally but it gave me too much of a headache to drink to get drunk). I liked scotch or vodka. Others like beer.

*shrug* It's all booze, just pick your flavor.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Ozzy...
Wine is fine but whiskey’s quicker
Suicide is slow with liquor
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think whatever it is you're drinking, you just increase the amounts to reach a certain level. I once got high on a beer or two - in the end, I could drink a 30-pack all by my little self in a day.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi - I don't like the taste of any drinks other than red wine, that was the downfall for me, I could say not to a beer or a spirit, but with red wine, it was one after another and it increased over the years. I took a photo of my last sad glass of red wine and I am not sure but now my mind has turned to actually detesting the taste and thought of it for all the sadness it brought into my life.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was definitely a worse drunk with red wine. At least with Jack and Coke I could make it weak...I find if I stick with mixed drinks I do lots better. But I always go for the wine...
Old 03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Red wine was definitely my favorite. But in a pinch chardonnay would do just fine. I drank beer for years.... yes too much ... but didn't seem to get as wasted as I did on wine. I loved the glow I got from the first sip. My whole body would completely relax. Then the madness would start until that bottle was gone and then usually another. Like you, I could start out with a beer or two but that wasn't what I wanted so many a time I would end up driving to the liquor store.

And, yes, towards the end of my drinking career (2 months ago), I would get drunk easier and easier.

Living that life was horrible. The hangovers, the look of sadness on my kids faces, the shame..... Ugh

Life is so much better. I need to work everyday to keep my sobriety.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vodka was my poison - literally.

Goes without saying, I kept a box o'wine as backup (3L) and a 24 pack of beer in the fridge just "in case" the 1.75 litre vodka ran out.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Red wine was my poison, although I don't think it matters. My first blackout and most horrid drunk happened on 3/4 of a bottle of white wine. For me 3/4 is normally just the beginning of my binge drinking. A lower tolerance is a bad indicator of alcoholism.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I alternated between beer and wine. It all ended the same, either way.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

In 25yrs, from beer and shots, then fortified wine and shots, to red wine (blood pressure went crazy on this, broke out in big purple blotches) and shots, back to fortified wine and Benedictine 70cl almost every night straight from the bottle, and finally fortified wine got relagated and whiskey replaced it all, again straight from the bottle 70cl daily, but at times 105cl.

So yeah when i look back, wine (red) (white = yak!) replaced beer, then slowly began to frequent pubs less, and i realised i was alcoholic. At that point with alcohol having such an affect on the way i thought (being sober(ish), half cut or smashed), i didn't do anything about the alarm bells. To be honest i didn't want to, i enjoyed it so much that i never felt how detatched i was from reality, until it all came crashing down!

Red wine was def' my own 'personal' sign of something, that myself and alcohol shouldnt get into.

My recovery started with just straight quiting, which i didn't know could be harmful until i found this sit. Which then helped me understand how 'unhinged' i felt (and why) for quite a long time in early recovery (SR ). That really was tough.

That 'glow' can be so addictive its unreal, an artificial sense of well-being (that doesn't fool the foolish, but everyone), that feel-good factor in a matter of seconds just from the taste alone, to when it lands and races round your system turning all the lights on, (essentialy knocking out all your defences) your done. From that point i believe its impossible to rationalize fully, and decisions are not entirely our own in a sense. Things start to go wrong, or worse. From something as trivial as a trip or you bump into something, it just isn't rite.

Just my 2 cents, sorry £10,000 ;-)
Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by Inafishbowl View Post
A lower tolerance is a bad indicator of alcoholism.
are you saying it is an indicator or a bad way of indicating alcoholism?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by Stimmed View Post
That 'glow' can be so addictive its unreal, an artificial sense of well-being (that doesn't fool the foolish, but everyone), that feel-good factor in a matter of seconds just from the taste alone, to when it lands and races round your system turning all the lights on, (essentialy knocking out all your defences) your done. From that point i believe its impossible to rationalize fully, and decisions are not entirely our own in a sense. Things start to go wrong, or worse. From something as trivial as a trip or you bump into something, it just isn't rite.

Just my 2 cents, sorry £10,000 ;-)
Thank you you put into words what I couldn't.
It was a feeling I never got from just drinking beer but when I was on red wine I really did feel it, like you said from that first mouth full.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"Lands and races round your system, TURNING ALL THE LIGHTS ON".

Describes booze and me to a T. Very good stuff Stimmed!
Old 03-12-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aussieblue View Post
are you saying it is an indicator or a bad way of indicating alcoholism?
It's an indicator that the disease is progressing.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I moved to wine after abusing beer and stout for 15 years. partly because it has less volume and partly because I could end up drinking alone and at home. It got me drunk quicker and I didnt have to go to the toilet as often. I could do the same job and a little more for less than half the price. Not good.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was a beer drinker but was introduced to red wine in my early 40's...and it was downhill from there. At the end I was buying the boxed wine so I didn't know how much I drank...but when it was almost empty in the morning I knew I had a big problem. I feel good being sober but I still miss my red wine and am very sad that I can never just enjoy a glass again...but obviously one was never enough or I wouldn't be here....
Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Love your descriptions, stimmed!

I was a gin drinker for quite a while. Then red wine, but out in public I'd carry Skyy vodka in my purse and take extra slugs in the ladies room or whatever. Then I decided to quit liquor and just drink red wine (because it's got antioxidants, yannow....) so I would get drunk slower. Then I went through a beer phase, a Mikes Hard Lemonade phase....

But in the end, it all got me drunk just the same. Some a little slower, some a little cheaper...but the essentials didn't change.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
drink red wine (because it's got antioxidants, yannow....)
That was one of my favorite "benefits/excuses"/