Notices

Mike Starr is dead

Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mike Starr is dead

Not sure if this thread was started already, but I thought I'd bring it up. Mike Starr was a guitarist for Alice in Chains. He went on Celebrity Rehab (U.S. TV show) a few years ago and came into the program a complete mess. Highly addicted, angry, out of it, and just in a bad bad place. I had the pleasure of watching him get better and better and a few months ago he re-appeared on the new "Celebrity Rehab" and talked to the newcomers. He looked great.

The point I'm trying to make is this disease kills. I understand his DOC was heroin but the point is he pursued his addiction into death. That is how strong our disease can become. Pretty scary really. I know relapse and subsequent death happens every day but to actually see the entire cycle of a person come in sick, get better, go back out, and now die should tell us all something.

Our disease is so powerful. I heard a podcast the other day and it had a great saying. "The TRUE definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over KNOWING what the results will be". That hit home for me because I am way beyond doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, I know what the results are and I still think drinking sounds good sometimes.

Very powerful stuff guys. Let's all stay sober one more night! Tomorrow is a new day with it's own problems, but tonight - we can handle tonight....
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Oh man, that's so sad. I watched him on the show, too. Here's an article:
Mike Starr dead: Former Alice in Chains bassist pleaded for drugs in voicemail hours before death
Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I watched him on Celebrity Rehab, too, and he was so gentle and kind.

It's such a tragedy.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, this illness can kill. And the really scary part of it is that it can do this gradually. If you're an alcoholic or a drug addict, when you go out and buy a drink or a drug you put up your money. If anyone were to ask you why you put your money there you'd say, "I'm buying myself a drink, a fix, etc." But one thing seems to get overlooked. You're not just paying money for it. Each time you do that you're losing, paying with, a little bit of your self, some like to say your soul. Each time you're losing, gradually, who you are. In that sense you're saying the long "good bye"- to you. And you're gradually sinking into slavery. And you'll do anything to deny that that's what's happening. That's the scary part- the gradual death of the spirit. The long goodbye.

W.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had the misfortune of accidentally hearing his voicemail this morning - couldn't get to the radio to turn it off fast enough. It's haunted me all day. We must always be vigilant. Thanks, reggiewayne for the reminder.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this. It is so sad.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Yep, very sad. I was really rooting for him. There are no guarantees...
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I saw him on the show too. That is a shame. Maybe his death will help someone quit their addiction.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I read this last night & was so saddened by it... Such a tormented soul & so sweet & kind after he'd detoxed. He looked so good on that reappearance he did on the show & I was thrilled to see him looking so happy & healthy & relaxed~~ was just grinning ear to ear thinking, he beat it, he did it, look at him. I read the news & felt like a friend had died. As Bob said, maybe his death will be what someone else needs for it to click in that it is real & deadly & none of us are invincible or immune.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
xuse

true true rip
Old 03-11-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I hate it.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Today just reading about it I am going to take steps every hour to further my Recovery.