Notices

Naltrexone help for cravings

Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone help for cravings

Hi,
Has anyone tried the RX Naltrexone to help with cravings and if so, did it work for you? Just wondering if I should talk to my doctor about it.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some people here have used it. Just do a search for Naltrexone and you should find some threads.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Didn't do that one, I used Campral however and I think it really helped. You have to keep working on the personal recovery however, it takes more than a pill to get well. The medications can be expensive, but I was probably spending much more on drinking. There were a few side effects for me at first but I could tolerate them. Best thing is to talk to your doctor.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I respect you for searching out what the actual results are for the various paths. Ignore the ads and find out what the experiences of those who did it have been. Make your decision based on that.

You'll see some people excited because they are drinking less amounts for several months in a row, and if that's all you want then go for it. If you want to stop entirely see how many you find that were able to do that, and for how long...you can expect the same variety of results.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My addictions treatment doctor and therapist ruled out naltrexone for me because my goal was/is total abstinence. Naltrexone, as I understand it, is used with alcohol as a binging preventative.
Correct me if I am wrong but Naltrexone is used after you have taken the first drink and it is supposed to work to make the next drinks less interesting.
I don't think it is supposed to work for cravings, because you will have cravings in a sober state without actively drinking. I think Campral is the one you use for cravings.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no experience with useing drugs for cravings...

By the end of my drinking...I was a daily hard core alcoholic .. had been for years.

I overcame my cravings with little difficulty ..I made changes
that benefited me.

With my doctors permission I followed a healthy eating plan
+ suplements I discovered in my favorite book on alcoholism
"Under The Influence"

I walked often...attended AA daily .drank oceans of water.
and timed the cravings when they came.

Mine lasted 5-7 minutes and that is not too long to be uncomfortable.
I took action during those times. actions for distraction...
Brushed my teeth....drank water..danced around the room... etc.

They lessened rather quickly...vanished entirely
both in ntensity and time involved..
by the end of my2nd month in AA recovery...never came back.

I think far too much is made about cravings for alcohol
but quitting does take action and time to be healthy again.

I often wonder..if you mask your sobriety with drugs ..just how long
are you going to keep useing
them? How would you know if you are over the cravings?

Hope everyone finds their way into a healthy productive future.
Recovery really rocks...

Last edited by CarolD; 03-11-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dancer, check out the Sinclair Method thread on the alcoholic forum. You should find some good info there.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

WOW CarolD what a great post. Those are the kinds of things that we newcomers need to hear...Dancer my doc prescribed Naltrexone to me about a year ago and it mainly takes the enjoyment out of drinking. If you take a drink while on the medication the effect of the drink will not be the same..,So if you think that would help with more cravings then I dont see how it could hurt., But coming from someone thats taken it, I will Definitely say it is NOT a miracle drug, and it will NOT do the work for you. I think were just gonna have to buckle down like Carol sais and do it. -And Im in no way qualified to give advice but thought I should chime in since I have taken it.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

I'm just happy I didn't even know about the existance of Naltrexone when I sobered up, as the entire point of living clean and sober was to find new healthy tools in life to keep me that way, not just another crutch, magic pill, or 'treatment' to drag it out a bit further.

There's a few threads here on it.. do a search for "Sinclair Method", I believe they also have a forum/website where people discuss their experience with taking Naltrexone.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I don't think that far too much is made about cravings for alcohol. Whilst I am glad for you Carol that you had no more after 2 months, those of use who have relapsed due to cravings at 4, 5, 6 etc, months - on numerous occasions - welcome information on how to deal with them.

Sorry.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

They say cravings are reduced by Campral, as it normalizes chemistry processes disturbed by alcohol in the brain. And Naltrexone works by blocking
the "pleasure areas" in the brain, reducing the desire to consume more alcohol.
Campral vs Naltrexone
Old 03-19-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I tried Naltrexone, and unfortunately it had an extremely rare but documented unwelcome side effect.... suicidal thoughts. I also found it did nothing with helping with the cravings. Needless to say I stopped it quick smart!

What i have found to help with the cravings is to find other ways to cope, like Carol. I walk a lot, listen to music, get support through therapy(i do not follow AA) and coming here to SR to find the immediate support and inspiration from people who have been here before me and succeeded.

I think itis great that you are looking in to the options before jumping into them...keep reading and coming here. I have found it to be of enormous help. Good luck on your journey and kep us posted.