Notices

First AA meeting... I should have called!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA meeting... I should have called!

I just want to vent :-). Stupid me, I thought, I'll just bowl on up and see how things go. Except that the venue was completely taken over by an event and the meeting had obviously been cancelled or moved. I arrived on the dot and even with my smartphone it probably would have taken at least 30 minutes to find the thing, and I don't know that part of town very well. Darnit! Nevermind, there's always the one tomorrow with a different group (where I am there are about 5 practical meetings to get to, all at different locations but only one per location per week). I guess I'll just have to stick around here :-).

It was also not so nice having to ask where the AA meeting was being held at the front desk - how have other people dealt with that when they go to a new meeting?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that that happened to you! Good luck on your next meeting! I think it's great that you decided to go!!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
is really trying!

I'm so sorry, that is NOT a good start. I really hope the next attempt gets you all the welcome & support you could wish for :u)
Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Welcome TotoB --

Sorry to hear about the misadventure.

I have had similar things occur in the past and it is disappointing indeed. On one occasion (due to a misinformed recommendation by someone), I showed up to an NA meeting rather than AA meeting -- and I was completely out of my element. I was told after sharing that most NA members do not want to discuss drinking because it is considered in a different "class". Needless to say I blushed. Consequently, I found a meeting that I rather enjoyed. And I'm glad to hear you say you're not giving up!!

By all means yes stick around -- we're here for you!

And keep us posted...
Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Atleast you were too busy to drink, hahaha. there is always a silver lining.

ps. this --> "It was also not so nice having to ask where the AA meeting was being held at the front desk"
this was only weird for you. trust me no one else cared at the desk. they wouldn't judge you for just asking. you might have been there to pick up a friend.