Notices

Any Migraine Sufferers?

Old 03-08-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any Migraine Sufferers?

Ugh!! Dealing with a migraine today. A bad storm came through last night. A lot of my headaces are caused by barometric pressure changes. The pain of a migraine headache was one of many reasons I drank. It was the only thing that took away the pain. (how could I feel anything, I always drank until I passed out). I know it's not an option anymore. I have been under a neurologist's care for 25 years and he has tried everything.

Sometimes I head for the ER and after 4 or 5 hours of waiting, I can get a shot of Torodol which helps somewhat. They limit your intake of Torodol to 4 or 5 a year. It's not March and I've had two shots already. I am not taking any narcotics.

Any sufferers out there with Strength, Experience, Hope? I know you can't give medical advice, I'd just like to know what you're going through. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I had lots of migraines while drinking and a few in early sobriety, but they seem to have gotten much better. Now most of my headaches are of the run-of-the-mill variety, not the kind that put me in bed.

There are great medications out there for migraines (Zomig is what I was taking). I don't have any experience with shots. I know how debilitating they can be and hope through your doctor you can find something soon that works for you.

Another thing - make a mental note of anything that might bring them on (you've probably already done this). I found that other than alcohol, being short of sleep did it, and also being dehydrated (obviously something that the alcohol played a part in). Usually if I was really stressed, I seemed to get them after I starting "relaxing."

Keep bugging the doctor, too!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Rotrow-

I get migraines from time-to-time, but my headaches have decreased BIG time since I quit drinking.

I've always heard (and I try this myself) to try to cut the migraine off before it starts.

Do you know what triggers your migraines? I'd start there

Kjell~
Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hi Rotrow,

Yes---I identify with your migraine issues. I often found that drinking was the most effective way to get the pain to go away. Now when I get one I have to really grit my teeth not to fall back on alcohol as a remedy. 2 glasses of wine was a big help. I always felt stupid about that though---I didn't think anyone would believe me when I said it helped since it seems like alcohol should make a migraine worse.

We can't give medical advice here, and my experience is that everyone's migraines and reaction to meds is different. I never found Torodol to be all that helpful. My migraines would stay around for days. Can you try a new Dr? I switched to a different neurologist and got some new treatment ideas.

In any case, you have my sympathy! Hope you find something that works better for you.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I am life-long migraine sufferer.

I have found that what works for me is catching it, almost before it starts. If I pay attention to what my body is telling me (always a good idea!), I can feel the beginnings of nausea, the vague feeling of unease and tension. At that time, before the pain really begins, I have found that taking Advil helps a lot. So, I try to always have some in my purse, along with water, when I am out. If that doesn't work for me, or I miss the 'window', then it's a mess.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

I agree with Anna, I always carry Advil with me and take it asap once I feel the queasiness/headache coming on. I find that benedryl (diphenhydramine) helps me with the nausea as well, although that makes some people too drowsy to carry on daily activities.

Sometimes I take a few advil, 2 benedryl and sleep for a few hours. Not optimal, but better than being sick for a few days.

All depends on what works for you.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i used to suffer from chronic migraines. Had not had one in 13 years, but then had a bad one about a month ago. lasted over 2 weeks! I am now on topomax for prevention, and have scripts for other meds for pain from my neurologist. Hope you can get some relief. None of my meds are narcotic, as i won't take those due to the alcohol abuse, which my doc knows about. Mine was brought on by stress. Hopefully it will be under control.

I wish you the best, because migraines are awful.