my mother

Old 11-11-2003, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my mother

Hello all. I just need some advice on where to begin. We recently "caught" my mother drinking vodka out of a rubbing alcohol and a hydrogen peroxide bottle. She ended up passing out and missing my niece's first birthday (her only grand-daughter that she cherishes). My mother is 49 y/o and was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor and aneurysm after a fall at home (most likely related to over-drinking). There are signs that she had problems with alcoholism prior to the diagnoses. She has not mentioned the incident at the birthday party (thus we feel she is in denial). I think my family and I are still in shock....and denial ourselves. We do not know how to approach the subject. We are scared for her, but do not no where to begin or how to approach her? Thanks for your advice...
Old 11-11-2003, 10:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Welcome Marie to SR...

I would reconamend (sp)you read the FYI at the top of this site...My heart goes out to you and your family..It must be terribly hard to find this out now...
I'll begin this with the 3 C's of Al-Anon as I usually do to newcomers;

You didn't cause it
You can't control it
You can't cure it...

You can go on loving your mother while finding out all you can about the disease of alcolohism...You can attend some Al-Anon meetings which will help you learn more about what you can do, for you, your family, and your mother..

You can try talking to her and letting her know of your fears. However, realize the choice is hers as to whether it will do any good...

Please come back often and let us know how you are doing..

Love and prayers from one who cares
Old 11-12-2003, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Marie and welcome

I echo what Daffodil said in her post above. If your mother is in denial about her drinking problem, talking to her may get you nowhere. But if talking to her about it will get things outside of you and off your chest, then do it for you.
Next, seek help wherever you can get it. From a counselor, from Alanon meetings, or here on this board. It's obvious that your mother has a problem. But she is the only one who can choose to do something about that.
You can do something to take care of you and how all this is affecting you. This is all overwhelming and scary when it first rears it's ugly head. There is hope, there is help. One day at a time, things can get better.
I will say a prayer for you and for you mother. Most of the time, God is the only one can help. That is why I believe in the power of prayer.
Keep the faith and
Peace,
Gabe