Notices

My Off and On Relationship with Alcohol

Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Off and On Relationship with Alcohol

Hi Everyone,

I'm a stubborn person. I've always liked to do things for myself. I've never liked asking for help. I believe this personality trait has hindered my ability to get off the sauce and lead a sober life.

I started drinking again sometime last semester after a year and a half sober. My reasoning was that I wanted to be "normal" again. I wanted to go out and have a few drinks like a "normal" person. Well, that was a bad idea. It started out slow but it's now out of control again.

During the time I was sober, I never went to AA, I never saw a counselor, and I had no sort of fellowship. I was completely isolated. I went to school, worked out, studied, and came home. That was my life. I thought I was happy but deep down I knew I wasn't. I believe that my isolation and my desire to NOT ask for help is what led me back to drinking.

I will give the sober life another shot. I know that I can be happy while sober but I'm going to have to work at it. During my past effort, I took a passive approach to recovery. I didn't actively try to heal myself; I just didn't drink. Seeing as how I'm starting over, that clearly did not work. I have to find a way to overcome the urge to isolate myself. I think AA may be the answer. I've read a lot of posts here that suggest the fellowship at AA is crucial to recovery.

I know I'm not asking any questions but I just feel like I should get that off my chest. I avoid reflecting on my thoughts a lot because it can be painful to take an objective look at oneself. I'm hoping that by reflecting here, I can get some outside opinions. If anyone has any comments, I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Here's to Day 1...again. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

One of the big pluses of AA for me...is the making of
new friends who share the common goal of living sober
and enjoying it....

Yes we take our recovery seriously....but we do insist on
having a fun interesting social life too.

Thanks for joining us...congratulations on your new start
Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

You're absolutely right that you can't be passive about recovery. The actions that you take to help yourself are an essential part of healing. One of things that helped me a lot in the early days was changing my routines and shaking things up a bit. Another thing was that I began to take long walks in the early evening. The benefits were enormous. I got out of the house, I felt physically better, got to know my new neighborhood much better, and enjoyed the quiet pleasure of being outdoors.